starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #110: Rip and Rusty on Science Fiction Movies

Default SS Radio #110: Rip and Rusty on Science Fiction Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Rip, have you watched the Dune mini-series that the Sci-Fi Channel produced the the early 2000s with Alex Newman and William Hurt?

This was fun to listen to. SPOILER ALERTS....

Interstellar....
    1) Great music, great effects. But, uh, love supercedes science?
    2) When 100yo Murph shoo's away Cooper with the entire family around, HIS extended family....just absolutely terrible. And no one can convince me otherwise.

1) Can appreciate that the effects were cutting edge and still hold up. But good grief, it is slow.
    2) Mark, think you said the black monolith was on the moon, but it was first on the earth with the chimps, wasn't it? Then appeared again on the moon, right?
    3) never understood the moon sized baby floating and it's significance, but will watch again to see if I figured it out.

Alien franchise
    1) any recommendation on an order to watch? Release date or movie timeline?

Matrix
    1) first movie is one of the best. Love it and is one of my favorites. Story, backed up by Special effects.
    2) second and third are blah.

Star Wars
    Episodes 4-5 are two of the best, if not THE best, two movies for one story ever made (Godfather 1&2 may win this award). All the rest of the movies are, to be blunt, not average to terrible. This world lives on the shoulders of empire strikes back, really. Lucas caught lightning in a bottle, with effects, music (the role the music plays in its popularity is understated), and incredible actors in their prime.

Good call on Arrival. That one had escaped attention until now.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    This was fun to listen to. SPOILER ALERTS....

Interstellar....
    1) Great music, great effects. But, uh, love supercedes science?
    2) When 100yo Murph shoo's away Cooper with the entire family around, HIS extended family....just absolutely terrible. And no one can convince me otherwise.

1) Can appreciate that the effects were cutting edge and still hold up. But good grief, it is slow.
    2) Mark, think you said the black monolith was on the moon, but it was first on the earth with the chimps, wasn't it? Then appeared again on the moon, right?
    3) never understood the moon sized baby floating and it's significance, but will watch again to see if I figured it out.

Alien franchise
    1) any recommendation on an order to watch? Release date or movie timeline?

Matrix
    1) first movie is one of the best. Love it and is one of my favorites. Story, backed up by Special effects.
    2) second and third are blah.

Star Wars
    Episodes 4-5 are two of the best, if not THE best, two movies for one story ever made (Godfather 1&2 may win this award). All the rest of the movies are, to be blunt, not average to terrible. This world lives on the shoulders of empire strikes back, really. Lucas caught lightning in a bottle, with effects, music (the role the music plays in its popularity is understated), and incredible actors in their prime.
    Ironically, ESB was the film Lucas had the least involvement with.

I forgot to add BladeRunner...

If I recall correctly, upon release, the movie was poorly received/reviewed. If that's correct, I wonder what changed from the initial poor review to now being praised as a trendsetting scifi movie. I do remember not enjoying the BR2045 as much as the original. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I forgot to add BladeRunner...

If I recall correctly, upon release, the movie was poorly received/reviewed. If that's correct, I wonder what changed from the initial poor review to now being praised as a trendsetting scifi movie.
    Did you listen to the podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Did you listen to the podcast?
    Yes.

Thanks for the comments on Reign of Fire. I saw that Amazon added it to their Prime lineup this past month. A decently done movie.

starting strength coach development program
    Mark/Rusty, how did you interpret the end of 2001? I watched it for the first time recently and loved it but I'll be honest, the end went way over my head.

Have you seen Moon? That is a great sci-fi film.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast