starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C&J world record

Default C&J world record

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yes, it is interesting that the Taranenko 266 kg clean & jerk from 1988 is still the all time heaviest. Lasha is close though. Today he lifted 265 kg in the olympics for a new world record (in the new weight class). From how it looks I am convinced that he can go beyond 266 kg when the time comes. But then again, no one else is close, which proves Rippetoe's point.

Also, the most impresive lift, I would say, is his snatch. Look at his new world record 223 kg snatch from today. Poetry and power!

Technique be damned, this is a strong motherfucker.

Absolutely the strongest man on the planet. I don't watch weightlifting, but I'll watch this animal lift anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Absolutely the strongest man on the planet. I don't watch weightlifting, but I'll watch this animal lift anyday.
    I'd love to see him in Strongman when his weightlifting days are over.

265 is a pretty small club. Although didn't Pisarenko jerk 265 in '84, at about 100lbs lighter?

That snatch, though. Damn.

Ok, wow. I didn't watch it but I watched a recap of that group on Weightlifting House. He didn't even open until everyone else had done all of their attempt then opens with 208! Then he just went up from there. Unreal!

I've been following Lasha the last couple years on youtube videos. A very rare athlete, indeed. In terms of HW Oly lifters, there is Lasha, and then there is everyone else. Not even close. The way his lifts moved, I think he's got way more in the tank for future world records. He's holding some back to milk many more WRs.

With the Olympics as Fucked up as they are this year, I think he was the only thing worth watching.

Showed a co-worker his amazing lifts. His response: "That guy is fat."

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    Showed a co-worker his amazing lifts. His response, from behind his mask: "That guy is fat."
    There.

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    I've been following Lasha the last couple years on youtube videos. A very rare athlete, indeed. In terms of HW Oly lifters, there is Lasha, and then there is everyone else. Not even close. The way his lifts moved, I think he's got way more in the tank for future world records. He's holding some back to milk many more WRs.

With the Olympics as Fucked up as they are this year, I think he was the only thing worth watching.

Showed a co-worker his amazing lifts. His response: "That guy is fat."
    Haha! When you're one of the strongest humans on earth you can be fat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by No insect View Post
    Yes, it is interesting that the Taranenko 266 kg clean & jerk from 1988 is still the all time heaviest. Lasha is close though. Today he lifted 265 kg in the olympics for a new world record (in the new weight class). From how it looks I am convinced that he can go beyond 266 kg when the time comes. But then again, no one else is close, which proves Rippetoe's point.

Also, the most impressive lift, I would say, is his snatch. Look at his new world record 223 kg snatch from today. Poetry and power!
    Its not really interesting.
    (Although I know Lasha has been popped once prior) the modern WeightLifter is dealing with much stricter anti-doping program.
    I don't even think they tested at all back in those days (I think there was limited testing at the Olympics back then).
    Sure, they likely cheat today, but you certainly can't do as much drugs, as often.
    Especially the way the new ROBI qualification exists.
    It doesn't eliminate drugs, sure .... but it a whole hell of a lot of harder.

Taranenko's 267 lift would be redlighted in a heart beat in this day and age (for press-out, elbows).
    This has been quite a contenious issue especially in this Olympics, but even before now that "sam boy's invintational" lift would've redlighted.

Lasha has done 225/270 in training IIRC

Lasha just stands up cleans no problem; whereas Taranenko fumbles around in the bottom and bounces up many times.
    Lasha's snatches are almost always perfect; doesn't even have to take a step while standing them up; perfect balance.

He has better technique than Taranenko for sure. Its not even close.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast