starting strength gym

Thread: Weak Squat - need help

Default Weak Squat - need help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys

Before i started with SS NLP i was doing weighted calisthenics and i got decently strong with it. Being able to chinup with additional 65kg at a Bodyweight of 75kg i got a strong back (at least I like to think so ).

Now I started my NLP 2 months ago and I feel like my back is helping way too much with my Low-bar Squat. My Legs and Glutes (except my calves) are my weakpoint anyway and I am struggling to go past the 105kg 3x5 because of my pathetic leg strength. Is there anything I can do in order to get my Squat higher except GOMAD? I am already eating about 4000 kcal/day which should be more than enough and I get about 8-9 hours of sleep a day.

Right now I am weighing 82-85kg. I know you guys don't care about Muscle groups - it is all about movement patterns. But i feel like my weak legs and strong back slow down my progress by a lot. Is there something I can do about it? After missing the last rep of the third set I deloaded about 10-15%. And some weeks later, when i got back to 105kgs I had the same problem.

My stats if it is needed:
    102,5 kg Squat ; 150 kg Deadlift , 90 kg Bench, 100 kg Row, 65-70 kg x1 Chinup, 60 kg Press

Would love to hear your suggestions and excuse my english - it's not my mother tongue.

Best wishes from vienna!

You could stop all other training for three months and just get your leg extension up to the whole stack for 5 sets of 10.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

No Sir, I wanted to know what you would do in my shoes since youre the expert . Sorry, didnt mean to trigger you haha

I would stop relying on your feelings and do the program:

Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

Quote Originally Posted by Waschechterwiener View Post
    Hey guys

Before i started with SS NLP i was doing weighted calisthenics and i got decently strong with it. Being able to chinup with additional 65kg at a Bodyweight of 75kg i got a strong back (at least I like to think so ).

Now I started my NLP 2 months ago and I feel like my back is helping way too much with my Low-bar Squat. My Legs and Glutes (except my calves) are my weakpoint anyway and I am struggling to go past the 105kg 3x5 because of my pathetic leg strength. Is there anything I can do in order to get my Squat higher except GOMAD? I am already eating about 4000 kcal/day which should be more than enough and I get about 8-9 hours of sleep a day.

Right now I am weighing 82-85kg. I know you guys don't care about Muscle groups - it is all about movement patterns. But i feel like my weak legs and strong back slow down my progress by a lot. Is there something I can do about it? After missing the last rep of the third set I deloaded about 10-15%. And some weeks later, when i got back to 105kgs I had the same problem.

My stats if it is needed:
    102,5 kg Squat ; 150 kg Deadlift , 90 kg Bench, 100 kg Row, 65-70 kg x1 Chinup, 60 kg Press

Would love to hear your suggestions and excuse my english - it's not my mother tongue.

Best wishes from vienna!
    If you think your legs are not doing the work in the squat, you should be posting a form check.

Thank you Mark!

Thank you, Wiener!!!

starting strength coach development program
    82-85 kg is not too bad, but not great, if you are 5' 8" (172 cm). If you are taller than that, you could gain some weight.

Posting a good video of your squat probably would be the best idea, as CommanderFun suggested--there may be some areas that could be improved.