starting strength gym

Thread: Weekend Archives

Just read the protein article above and Santana's article on protein. One question....how much protein can the body absorb at one sitting? The article from sanata doesn't directly address this (last 3 paragraphs pasted below).

Does this mean if I consume 100g of protein, 60g goes to muscle and the remaining 40 goes to 'non muscle protein'? Where does that transition to non muscle protein begin?

Can anyone offer any insight to this question? Thanks.

"It is recommended that most of the protein be consumed from actual food and not 15 protein shakes per day. The reason for this is to ensure that adequate micronutrients are consumed, and to promote satiety throughout the day. Since whey protein is quickly digested, it is often not filling. It is also recommended that protein be consumed in 20-50 g meals multiple times per day versus consuming larger amounts fewer times per day.

This does not mean that you won’t absorb or digest protein taken in larger amounts. There is evidence from professional research suggesting a limit as to how much protein can be assimilated into muscle protein in a given time. Since 60% of our body's proteins are non-muscle proteins, the remaining protein will be digested, absorbed into the amino acid pool, and utilized for the synthesis of those proteins.

Once again, the training stimulus is priority Number 1, above all else. We encourage you to spread your protein out throughout the day to enhance insulin sensitivity, promote satiety, and maximize your chances for muscle growth. This should be done on most days, but if you end up eating the 72 oz. steak in Amarillo to mark it off your bucket list, we won’t hold it against you."

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Just read the protein article above and Santana's article on protein. One question....how much protein can the body absorb at one sitting? The article from sanata doesn't directly address this (last 3 paragraphs pasted below).

Does this mean if I consume 100g of protein, 60g goes to muscle and the remaining 40 goes to 'non muscle protein'? Where does that transition to non muscle protein begin?

Can anyone offer any insight to this question? Thanks.
    Nobody knows how much protein you absorb in one sitting. We can speculate and we can assume that the professional research gives us some idea of it but we really don't know for sure. If we did, would it matter? What is the utility of such a figure other than getting a paper published and circle jerking at the ACSM? If you are eating 20 or more per meal you are probably fine. Try out more and try out less and see if this makes a difference in your own training. A research paper on the issue is not going to answer the question of what works for you since research studies are often studying a convenience sample of college students.

What if I THINK I'm college age? Does that count?

And a real follow-up... A meal with say 90g of protein... What would be a good guide to assume is absorbed? I asked this because yesterday, due to a bunch of factors, I didn't eat until 5pm or so. At 9ish, I made a protein shake that had like 80g protein. Was curious if it was worth it or not to protein load like that, when I was trying to "catch up" on the intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Nobody knows how much protein you absorb in one sitting. We can speculate and we can assume that the professional research gives us some idea of it but we really don't know for sure. If we did, would it matter? What is the utility of such a figure other than getting a paper published and circle jerking at the ACSM? If you are eating 20 or more per meal you are probably fine. Try out more and try out less and see if this makes a difference in your own training. A research paper on the issue is not going to answer the question of what works for you since research studies are often studying a convenience sample of college students.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Surely it can't really be answered because eating a big steak with fries, mac and cheese and 'slaw is going to move from the stomach to the gut much slower than 3 scoops of whey powder in water on an empty stomach will. The latter will probably move into the gut too fast for the gut the cope and some will end up getting to the other end of the gut before it's all used whereas the former will be drip fed from the stomach to the gut over several hours allowing more of the protein to be used.