Periodic exhaustion during LP Periodic exhaustion during LP - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Periodic exhaustion during LP

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    204

    Default

    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    • starting strength seminar april 2022
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    Dear Mr. Rippetoe,



    Additional information:

    Weight = 105 kg
    Height = 183 cm (6 feet)
    Squat strength level = 3x5 of 102,5 kg (up from 40 kg in 9 weeks)
    Bench press strength level = 3x5 of 60 kg (up from 35 kg in 9 weeks)
    Press strength level = 3x5 of 45 kg (up from 25 kg in 9 weeks)
    Deadlift strength level = 1x5 of 100 kg (up from 40 kg in 9 weeks)
    Calories = ~3800-4000 kcal
    Protein = ~230 g
    Rest between sets = 15 mins and longer for the squat, up to 10 mins (sometimes longer) for press and bench press
    Sleep = 9 hours, almost never less than 8
    Additional physical activity = I usually walk 1-1.5h a day, not really as exercise though, just as part of work or transit
    Work = 8 hours a day, no more than moderate stress level I would estimate, especially by American standards
    Just commenting to point out that these are very long rest periods, especially for the relatively modest weights you are lifting. Starting Strength advises long rest periods, meaning around 5 minutes to start, increasing to 7-8 minutes as things get heavy. I don't think I have ever seen rest periods longer than 10 minutes advised, and that would be for more advanced lifters lifting very heavy weights.

    I am not saying you are doing something wrong, more pointing this out as further evidence (along with the acute exhaustion you wrote in about) that something's wrong with your energy levels/recovery.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    Just commenting to point out that these are very long rest periods, especially for the relatively modest weights you are lifting. Starting Strength advises long rest periods, meaning around 5 minutes to start, increasing to 7-8 minutes as things get heavy. I don't think I have ever seen rest periods longer than 10 minutes advised, and that would be for more advanced lifters lifting very heavy weights.

    I am not saying you are doing something wrong, more pointing this out as further evidence (along with the acute exhaustion you wrote in about) that something's wrong with your energy levels/recovery.
    It could also be that I am doing something wrong - I am getting on LP without any coaching and have corrected mistakes I noticed weeks after starting several times. For instance, keeping with the theme of getting exhausted easily, I used to stretch out the pauses between reps during the set out (to 3-6 breaths between reps) until I found out a Rippetoe Q&A response that said you shouldn't do that.

    Maybe it is possible that these mistakes have limited the conditioning element which is built into LP? Then again, Rippetoe has said directly that it is unreasonable to reduce the time between sets for any kind of improved conditioning effect. I guess based on the response in this thread, it would seem to suggest that something beyond a lack of conditioning needs to be an explanation as well.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    46,589

    Default

    Testosterone?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Testosterone?
    I made an appointment with our equivalent of the GP to get it measured, I will report back in with the result as soon as I get it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Testosterone?
    Sorry for the delay, I have the test results now. The doctor said I have 431 ng/dL blood testosterone.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    46,589

    Default

    Get some more testosterone, and see how you feel.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Get some more testosterone, and see how you feel.
    I'll try to see if I can get a doctor in the EU who would prescribe it. Maybe there is someone on the website who has mentioned anything with regard to that.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    I'll try to see if I can get a doctor in the EU who would prescribe it. Maybe there is someone on the website who has mentioned anything with regard to that.
    You will probably have difficulty with that. Even here in the US doctors are reluctant to do anything about testosterone unless it is below the lower bound of the reference range, which has gotten pretty goddamn low as the years have progressed. Wish I knew what the hell causes this generational testosterone decline and could do something to reverse it other than straight up injections.

    You mentioned the temperature overall where you are, but what about where you do your lifting? I think my current gym has very poor AC, and squatting is when it really shows. I get so incredibly heated up on my heavy squat day that my shirt is completely soaked. I even start to build up a headache and other heat exhaustion symptoms on the last two sets. It definitely makes me start to feel light headed, and I have to take longer rests between squat sets than I feel like I should.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    You will probably have difficulty with that. Even here in the US doctors are reluctant to do anything about testosterone unless it is below the lower bound of the reference range, which has gotten pretty goddamn low as the years have progressed. Wish I knew what the hell causes this generational testosterone decline and could do something to reverse it other than straight up injections.

    You mentioned the temperature overall where you are, but what about where you do your lifting? I think my current gym has very poor AC, and squatting is when it really shows. I get so incredibly heated up on my heavy squat day that my shirt is completely soaked. I even start to build up a headache and other heat exhaustion symptoms on the last two sets. It definitely makes me start to feel light headed, and I have to take longer rests between squat sets than I feel like I should.
    There have been some hot days here but the exhaustions don't line up with these days, so I am not sure if this could be the case. Furthermore, what counts as hot here probably wouldnt even be warm for people living in Southern Europe, Texas, Arizona or other such sunny places.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    81

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Having been down this road before, I can tell you there is a good chance you have low thyroid.
    It drives down testosterone and kills energy.
    I had these symptoms before getting on Synthroid.

    Go to a real endocrinologist, get these tests:
    Free Testosterone
    Total Testosterone
    TSH
    T3
    Free T3
    Reverse T3.

    You probably need Testosterone and T4.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •