starting strength gym

Thread: Andrew Lewis SSC: Music During your workout

Default Andrew Lewis SSC: Music During your workout

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Andrew. Personally, I stopped using earphones when I started SS. Lifts required too much concentration for me. Also, I often wonder if earphones can eventually be a mental complication that holds people back (ie, cancel workouts if EarPods run out of charge, can’t get motivated without just the right song, etc). Additionally, the lack of situational awareness some people show when wearing earphones in the weight area of many gyms is really something. Often rude, sometimes dangerous. A heavy set of squats or pulls commands 100% of mental focus. There are few activities in life now that don’t involve multitasking or at least a whole bunch of background stuff you can’t get away from. SS gives one the chance to focus entirely on a single task for a short period of time. I think people are losing some of that benefit if they add earphones.

I’ve always found I needed the “psych up” music way more on the way to the gym rather then when actually there.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    A heavy set of squats or pulls commands 100% of mental focus.
    Nothing clears the mind quite like a heavy squat. I find it mentally relaxing - music would ruin it.