starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 51 year old Rip nutswinger coming back from Covid

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How do you propose that Fat do a conditioning workout when his resting O2sat is 89%?
    Honestly, I was thinking of something not dissimilar from SS, but instead of adding 5 pounds to his lifts, maybe he adds 5% to his walk for a month.

I also want to point out that I’m assuming his baseline strength (per the numbers he posted) are still relevant to his overall strength - although perhaps somewhat inhibited by his illness. COVID-19 ridden, he’s still probably (2x) stronger than an untrained individual, yet an untrained individual can probably outpace him walking a dog.

He gets a conditioning effect and stronger from his lifts. He gets only conditioning from his walking. His lungs will heal over time. He's not out of shape -- he's recovering from pneumonia.

My lings are improving daily. I've been able to titrate down my oxygen dosing and am doing well. Going for 1/4 mile ambles in the sun suits my "conditioning" needs just fine right now. Lifts are stiff but moving.

I was prescribed a "BREO ELLIPTA" inhaler which uses the chemicals fluticasone furoate and vilanterol. This shit is a once per day medication/inhaler which seems to work very well. Certainly much better than albuterol, which did ZERO for me. My lungs are strained and uncomfortable, but definetly coming back on line. Ergo, I have decided to hold off on the clenbuterol, as everyone calls it effective but harsh, and I have already lost almost twenty pounds, and am feeling cachectic.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    My lings are improving daily. I've been able to titrate down my oxygen dosing and am doing well. Going for 1/4 mile ambles in the sun suits my "conditioning" needs just fine right now. Lifts are stiff but moving.

I was prescribed a "BREO ELLIPTA" inhaler which uses the chemicals fluticasone furoate and vilanterol. This shit is a once per day medication/inhaler which seems to work very well. Certainly much better than albuterol, which did ZERO for me. My lungs are strained and uncomfortable, but definetly coming back on line. Ergo, I have decided to hold off on the clenbuterol, as everyone calls it effective but harsh, and I have already lost almost twenty pounds, and am feeling cachectic.
    37 year old here. I caught covid (although I didn't get tested, but since it felt like flu, with muscle/joint aches, respiratory symptoms AND I lost my sense of smell, (which hasn't returned after several weeks now), I am assuming it was covid).

Every time I reach PB territory on the lifts, I seem to get a return of some of the symptoms the following couple of days (difficult breathing, sinus headache- but not as severe as when I was ill). I've had a few days off training and I feel as fit as a fiddle and sprightly on my feet. I'm going to train tonight, but I'm expecting to feel like shit with the respiratory symptoms tomorrow. Hopefully each time, the severity diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    37 year old here. I caught covid (although I didn't get tested, but since it felt like flu, with muscle/joint aches, respiratory symptoms AND I lost my sense of smell, (which hasn't returned after several weeks now), I am assuming it was covid).

Every time I reach PB territory on the lifts, I seem to get a return of some of the symptoms the following couple of days (difficult breathing, sinus headache- but not as severe as when I was ill). I've had a few days off training and I feel as fit as a fiddle and sprightly on my feet. I'm going to train tonight, but I'm expecting to feel like shit with the respiratory symptoms tomorrow. Hopefully each time, the severity diminishes.
    Interesting. Do you monitor your oxygen levels for objective numbers, or is it just a feeling?

Greeting. Sober today, Rip. Been fighting covid symptoms since Aug 13. Hospitalized from Aug 27 thru Sep 1. Lost from 10-15 pounds of bodyweight. No real signs or symptoms left other than im stuck with an oxygen cannula as my lungs try to recover.

As soon as possible I will be doing AB linear progression to build myself back. Zero fears or worries there.

6’4”, 260; competition bests of 465; 370 and 550. I eat lots of red meat and pussy. And i prefer Irish whiskey over fancy american bourbons.

Any advice on the lung shit? I do not want to overdo it and accidentally fuck myself or make myself weaker.

Thanks.
    My lung situation was not as bad as yours but putting the lungs to work and coughing made breathing easier after the workout, and I'm convinced it significantly reduced recovery time (thanks, Rip).

By any chance did the hospital send you home with one of these: How to Use Your Incentive Spirometer | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

If they did, I would make consistent use of it. If they didn't, I would get one and make consistent use of it.

Several years ago I went through a major battle with Legionnaire's disease and severe pneumonia that accompanies it. Fortunately, it was only in one lung. However, that lung was bad and progressed to respiratory failure. Fortunately, I was just above the threshold for requiring supplemental oxygen when I was discharged. that first day home after discharge was brutal. My first trip up a single flight of stairs to use the bathroom was a long-lasting battle I wish to never again wage.

You sound like you are on the correct path. I followed a similar approach to yours. I started doing as much as I could within my limited aerobic capacity fighting through the discomfort while pushing myself to constantly push just a little bit further. The first walk was on flat ground, 6 five minutes out, five minutes back. The next time was six minutes, then seven, and so on. Get up and move around as often as you can.

Between the regular movement and walks and the consistent use of the incentive spirometer, I recovered more quickly than I had expected. I was not lifting at the time so it was not an option for me to use it as part of my recovery. Had I know then what I know now about Starting Strength, I certainly would have used it as part of my recovery plan.

Best of luck to you, keep at it, and it will get progressively better and better. You already possess the correct mindset for full recovery and that already puts you ahead of just about everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by newguyray View Post
    By any chance did the hospital send you home with one of these: How to Use Your Incentive Spirometer | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

If they did, I would make consistent use of it. If they didn't, I would get one and make consistent use of it.

Several years ago I went through a major battle with Legionnaire's disease and severe pneumonia that accompanies it. Fortunately, it was only in one lung. However, that lung was bad and progressed to respiratory failure. Fortunately, I was just above the threshold for requiring supplemental oxygen when I was discharged. that first day home after discharge was brutal. My first trip up a single flight of stairs to use the bathroom was a long-lasting battle I wish to never again wage.

You sound like you are on the correct path. I followed a similar approach to yours. I started doing as much as I could within my limited aerobic capacity fighting through the discomfort while pushing myself to constantly push just a little bit further. The first walk was on flat ground, 6 five minutes out, five minutes back. The next time was six minutes, then seven, and so on. Get up and move around as often as you can.

Between the regular movement and walks and the consistent use of the incentive spirometer, I recovered more quickly than I had expected. I was not lifting at the time so it was not an option for me to use it as part of my recovery. Had I know then what I know now about Starting Strength, I certainly would have used it as part of my recovery plan.

Best of luck to you, keep at it, and it will get progressively better and better. You already possess the correct mindset for full recovery and that already puts you ahead of just about everyone else.
    Yes. I am using it. I keep one on my desk at work and i have another at home. All day throughout the day. At this point, I am almost done with supplemental oxygen. My saturation levels are usually at 94% or better. Lifts are progressing, bodyweight is coming back on. Unfortunately, I still feel like I have an infant's lungs, and my general energy levels are low.

I'll be back.

Although truthfully, I am afraid of catching covid again. It knocked me down pretty hard once. I dont want it again.

Although truthfully, I am afraid of catching covid again. It knocked me down pretty hard once. I dont want it again.
    I feel that same way about red measles.

starting strength coach development program
    Back to fives. Lungs are recovering. Its going to be a process, however.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12