starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glutes hurting like hell, can't find the cause

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My kidneys are fine, but Dilaudid doesn't do a damn thing for me. Tylenol is all I've got.
    Wow! Dilaudid does nothing for you? That's impressive. I've never actually taken it. In L.A., a 4 mg pill (medium dose) has a street value of around $15. I carry a few doses of Percocet around because I get kidney stones (that'll bring me to my knees) and need something to get me to the ER if I have an attack. I think THAT'S pretty strong. Dilaudid's allegedly stronger.

I am an opiate non-responder.

I am an opiate non-responder.
    Opiates bind to the same receptors in the brain as endorphins. Do you not get a charge out of working out?

Not really. Never have. But I don't think that the mechanism for opiate non-response is an absence of receptor sites.

Hi Rip, I was hoping I could piggyback off of this thread for some advice.

I’ve tried running my NLP a few times, but I keep getting stuck on my squat and give up. Usually don’t get far, like 180 lbs, my highest was 250. I get terrible pain in my left piriformis/SI joint area, usually an hour or two after squatting. Lingers or lessens after about 24 hours. It happens even at very light weight (like starting LP light). I’ve had my form checked in coach Andy Baker’s Facebook group a couple of times and it doesn’t seem like I’m doing anything terribly wrong. I’ve thought about going to see a SS coach in person (closest is a couple hours away in Chicago) but not sure if they will be able to tell me anything to fix it. Is that worth it?

I’ve had pain in this area before I started strength training, mostly pushing stuff around at work. But never this bad. I want to get strong but don’t know what to do. I’ve tried adjusting my stance and even high bar squats and nothing seems to work. Lacrosse ball and stretches make it worse. Standing makes it worse, sitting/laying down helps.

I haven’t tried going to a chiropractor. Not sure what to ask for. Maybe I should take more NSAID. Been doing 400-600 mg twice a day when it’s bad but usually not more than 2-3 days at a time. I’m 5’ 10, 195 lbs, 29 years old. Always wear a belt, even on warm up sets now. Am I just a pussy? Do I just need to keep going?

Have you had a therapist work on the piriformis/SI area?

I have not. I'll schedule an appointment asap if that's what it takes. I always thought they make you do a bunch of exercises with bands and stuff. Is that not the case?

Massage. ART. It is therapy, not exercising.

Not really. Never have. But I don't think that the mechanism for opiate non-response is an absence of receptor sites.
    Was doing a search on opiate non-response today and found this entry.

I also found this: Non-responsive Pain Patients with CYP-2D6 Defect. Didn't dig any deeper, but your book helped me, maybe this will help you?

starting strength coach development program
    Massage. ART. It is therapy, not exercising.
    Hi Rip,

I went for my first appointment today. I explained pretty much what I already said above. They told me I would probably not respond well to massages because my stretches/lacrosse ball routines were making symptoms worse and that I had probably over stretched the muscle rather than it being too tight. That part makes sense to me I guess, does that sound right to you? Also, they had never heard of active release techniques.

They had me lay on a table and do a bunch of leg exercises, some air squats, and some stair exercises and then gave me a routine to do at home. I'm supposed to stop squatting and deadlifting... supposedly I have a muscle imbalance and I need to make that stronger to work my way back up to squats (first quarter and half squats) and deadlifts. That part is bs right? I mean I'll do it, I just thought that squats and deadlifts were already supposed to make me strong.

They got me booked for my next 5 appointments but I don't know if I want to pursue that with them. They said next time they can try dry needling the area to see if that helps, should I at least do that? What would you recommend I do next?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast