starting strength gym

Thread: Hit 5 reps last squat, added 5lb, got pinned to the safety bars on FIRST REP.

Default Hit 5 reps last squat, added 5lb, got pinned to the safety bars on FIRST REP.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Am curious as to why this may have happened.

Age 36, male, 5’ 10”, 186lb. 13 weeks into SS. 4,200+ calories a day. 3x a week workouts. Have made some volume adjustments (1x5 on squat 2x5 backoffs at 90%) and added a light day (3x5 at 80%) out of necessity along the way.

Starting BW: 143lb
    Current BW: 187lb

Squat: 132lb > 300lb

Last successful squat was 1x5 @ 300lb. Got all 5 reps, last was a bit of a grinder. Light day mid week went fine. Next heavy session I added 5 pounds. Warmups felt heavy and on the very first rep of my work set I got pinned to the safety bars. I wasn't even CLOSE to getting the rep, either. The bar didn't even stop on the way down. Just got nailed to the pins. It's like my body said "not fucking happening".

I'm eating and sleeping plenty, no stress, no changes to anything, form was fine.

I'll try 305 again next session but I'm just curious as to what may be the cause (accumulated fatigue? bad day?). I will post an update in a few days regardless.

It's not always possible to pinpoint the reason for a bad day. Sometimes they just happen. Try it again and it may go. If not, time for a reset.

Update:

The following workout I attempted 305lb AGAIN for 5 but without realizing it, I got higher and higher with each rep and missed depth on the last few.

Today I tried 305lb for the third time focusing on depth and got stapled to the safety pins on rep 3.

Time for a reset.

Video?