starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Every Day Carry for My Wife

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I do tend to agree with Rip too that there needs to be some stopping power. I want the fucker’s head vaporized when she hits him and no questions as to whether he’s alive or not.
    Don’t aim for the head.

A revolver is good for inability to rack the slide, however it’s bad for accuracy in a snub nose. I got my wife the LCR mentioned above. The double action trigger pull was so long and heavy that she would pull off target. Of course, this can be overcome with a lot of practice. But you need to know if she is realistically going to do that. I now have an LCR. I’m for the semi auto option with one in the chamber and strict trigger discipline. I also agree that she could be taught by a female instructor how to rack the slide effectively which she should learn. However, if you are going to carry always carry with one in the chamber anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Well, one of the other issues with the Glock is that it’s a large grip. I have big meaty hands and the larger grip suits me perfectly. She can barely hold on to the damn thing. This is long overdue anyway. She needs something she can handle appropriately. All the same, you’re right about the slide being a technique thing. I did see a S&W 380 with a very easy slide action. It was compact. Real nice.

I do tend to agree with Rip too that there needs to be some stopping power. I want the fucker’s head vaporized when she hits him and no questions as to whether he’s alive or not.
    You mentioned that your Glock is a 9mm with a grip that's not comfortable for your wife. I'm guessing it's a G17 which is a full-size gun. You can also try her with a compact size G19 (also 9mm).

My gun is a G22 which is a full size S&W .40. That gun also comes as a compact, the G23.

The G19 and G23 are popular with policewomen. That should tell you something. Your wife (and you) should want a weapon that's popular with law enforcement. The compacts are well-known to be concealable as well. Glock also makes subcompacts in these calibers that are even smaller (and more concealable) but these may be harder to shoot.

Surely your wife can find a glock with the perfect grip size chambered in either 9mm or the more powerful .40. Either has enough stopping power to make law enforcement happy. Her gun will have to meet two criteria: 1) it's comfortable to hold and 2) it's comfortable to shoot. If either is not true, she won't enjoy practicing and therefore won't. Get thee to a gun store and have her try a variety of guns. Have her practice racking the slide in the store until she gets it right. Hint: Most happen have a lot of difficulty using the "slingshot" two finger method. There are much better ways for her to do it though.

Also, as much as it pains me to admit, there are excellent pistols not named Glock and it's well worthwhile to have her try some of those. Some of them may be easier to rack the slide. Understand though that engineering a gun that's harder to rack due to a stronger spring system gives designers more options for creating a more reliable gun. Law enforcement likes Glocks because their reliability is legendary.

Here's a very good article written by an author with impeccable credentials: Finding the Right Fit: Glocks for Female Cops

I wouldn’t go with a striker fired no safety style gun for a newbie

The LCR is simple, a .38 special is commonly available and after she gets accustomed to shooting you can load it with plus P or full power .357 mag

Plus P 38 special is adequate, most firearm episodes for civilians are less than 3 rounds

If she adapted to carrying a firearm you can easily move up to a high capacity gun if she feels the need the LCR would be easy to sell its highly popular

In the extremely rare event she has a squib round no racking necessary just pull the trigger again
    The Crimsom trace grips are small and the laser is really effective
    The entire gun is small and my daughters do well with them

You want simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Not interested in the Thunderstruck which fires two 22 magnums with each pull of the trigger? Also extremely concealable, and extremely trigger-safe.
    I have to admit. It's pretty cool. This is the part where my lack of gun knowledge comes into play. If she hits the guy in the leg or some other place that is not likely to be a kill shot, what's the damage done as opposed to something with a heavier caliber? At what distance does something like that become ineffective? I want a lot of damage done if she misses a kill zone. So much so that the guy can't think about anything else. If both rounds hit the guy, are the two .22's rounds the same as a single .44? Also, it says it carries 8 rounds, which I assume, means you get 4 trigger pulls.

I second what Rip originally suggested, which was a revolver. A revolver is my “wake up in the middle of the night” gun for the same reason I recommend it for novice carry: It's simple, reliable and in the case of misfire, no clearing. One thought to consider on the subject of recoil, if you get a light weight anything, recoil is going to be greater then with a heavier model. Novice shooters might get recoil shy. A solution to that is if you go with a revolver, get both light weight and regular models. I know S&W makes an 11.7 oz alloy and a 22.2 stainless both in 357 and are pretty similar in size and shape. Train enough on the light model to be proficient, but save the wrist by doing most of her range time with the heavy model. Plus this give her both a carry and home gun. The other option on recoil is train with the carry loads enough to get use to them, but save the wrist by using low recoil .38 rounds for most of the range time.

Now all that was nothing more then some old fart's opinion. Here's my real advice: Find your local gun club, range, or gun store and talk with them. My club regularly hosts a NRA Basic for Women course. plus a monthly NRA FIRST Steps Pistol course. The gun store/indoor range in Richmond has a number of courses, plus you can sample guns for a small fee. I think it's $17 for an hour and you can swap up to three times.

Not interested in the Thunderstruck which fires two 22 magnums with each pull of the trigger? Also extremely concealable, and extremely trigger-safe.
    Looks like a snag waiting to happen.

I would NOT want to be the guy (or gal) that gets to test this thing's performance in a courtroom. This gun is a liberal prosecutor's wet dream! People have gone to jail for firing one too many rounds into someone in a defensive situation. This gun will always raise that question. Using a monstrosity like this thing would be like stamping "Kill them all. Let God sort 'em out."on your weapon. Not the sort of thing you want a prosecutor passing around amongst the jury.

Also judging from youtube videos, this thing's performance looks dreadful.

The OP is asking a very serious question. Let's help him (and others) find a serious solution.

Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Looks like a snag waiting to happen.
    The trigger guard?

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    I wouldn’t go with a striker fired no safety style gun for a newbie
    You're right of course.

I think though, that anyone that takes on concealed carry should do everything possible to make sure that they're not a newbie for very long. It's such a huge responsibility that you owe it to society and yourself to learn as much about it as possible. This means good training, reliable equipment, and serious practice. I think that some people never come to peace with a no-active-safety pistol like a Glock, especially carrying mag+1.

"Good" training to me implies teaching the subtleties and the pain points of concealed carry. To me, it also includes optimizing its usefulness which includes doing the work to learn mag+1 carry. Studies show that there are many defensive situations that come up that don't offer time to rack. That's why some cops have been killed by knives.

Please know that I'm in no way "correcting" your recommendation. It's sage advice.

The trigger guard?
    Yes and even if that wasn't a factor, the fact, according the short youtube I just watched, it's pull is such that it requires two fingers to pull the trigger, nixes it for me. Remember the OP has described a novice shooter that will be carrying in her purse. Simple and easy to use is important.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    …a monstrosity like this thing ...
    It is just a small DP-12.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast