starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Every Day Carry for My Wife

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Perhaps she’d be more comfortable starting with a rifle at the range. Less nervous about pointing in the wrong direction. Get use to blast/recoil, then move to shorter guns.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Perhaps she’d be more comfortable starting with a rifle at the range. Less nervous about pointing in the wrong direction. Get use to blast/recoil, then move to shorter guns.
    I’ve taken multiple defensive handgun courses. In my beginning course, EVERY student developed basic shooting proficiency. Many of the women and some men had NEVER fired a gun ever. In fact, as predicted by our instructors, many of the complete newbies shot BETTER than the more experienced shooters by the end of the course. This was because they never developed bad habits previously.

If you want to learn to fire a handgun, I believe you should train with one from the start. I don’t really see a benefit of starting with a long gun first unless what you really want is to shoot a long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I’ve taken multiple defensive handgun courses. In my beginning course, EVERY student developed basic shooting proficiency. Many of the women and some men had NEVER fired a gun ever. In fact, as predicted by our instructors, many of the complete newbies shot BETTER than the more experienced shooters by the end of the course. This was because they never developed bad habits previously.

If you want to learn to fire a handgun, I believe you should train with one from the start. I don’t really see a benefit of starting with a long gun first unless what you really want is to shoot a long gun.
    Ok, that too is interesting. I’ve never taken any such courses.

Were any of the new students as afraid to fire a gun as our friend here?

I’m looking at psychological blocks, not skill level.

I just listened to In Depth with Inna Koppel. One thing she said nailed the importance of your wife taking a women's training course; "What helped them overcome their fear, was watching other women do it” While she was talking about strength training, this applies equally to firearm use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    I just listened to In Depth with Inna Koppel. One thing she said nailed the importance of your wife taking a women's training course; "What helped them overcome their fear, was watching other women do it” While she was talking about strength training, this applies equally to firearm use.
    Agreed.

While the women in my beginning class (almost 50%) all did extremely well, they were likely self-selected because the school HAS a women only beginning class. Presumably, the ones in my class apparently felt they didn't need that advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    We’re headed to the gun shop tomorrow to see if we can find something that fits the bill.
    Ah yes, the gun shop, I do remember those days back in the 70's, alas no more. Now I have only a piece of 4X2.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    ... a piece of 4X2.
    Curious . . . is that 4 ft x 2 in ? Above the equator, it's a two-by-four.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Curious . . . is that 4 ft x 2 in ? Above the equator, it's a two-by-four.
    Nope. 4 inches X 2 inches, or if your prefer 100mm x 50mm, the length is up to your personal preference. About the length of a base ball bat is preferable in a combat situation. Used to be the framing timber size back before the days we went metric.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Nope. 4 inches X 2 inches, or if your prefer 100mm x 50mm, the length is up to your personal preference. About the length of a base ball bat is preferable in a combat situation. Used to be the framing timber size back before the days we went metric.
    Wouldn’t an actual baseball bat be more ergonomic for the current purpose than a 2x4? I actually have a small aluminum bat my daughter used when she was young that I keep under the bed next to my Glock.

Great ergonomics, swings nice, optimized for speed and maneuverability, and has the advantage of being extremely easy to grip and work with one-handed. Great for the little woman too in case she has to get into the fight (she refuses to have anything to do with guns and doesn’t even want to know the combo for the safe our gun is in). She’s afraid she might shoot me if I piss her off and she’s already in a bad mood.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Wouldn’t an actual baseball bat be more ergonomic for the current purpose than a 2x4? I actually have a small aluminum bat my daughter used when she was young that I keep under the bed next to my Glock.

Great ergonomics, swings nice, optimized for speed and maneuverability, and has the advantage of being extremely easy to grip and work with one-handed. Great for the little woman too in case she has to get into the fight (she refuses to have anything to do with guns and doesn’t even want to know the combo for the safe our gun is in). She’s afraid she might shoot me if I piss her off and she’s already in a bad mood.
    Yep, much more aerodynamic than a piece of wood. However we don't not play base ball much down here, we play cricket and a cricket bat is a pretty poor anti-personnel weapon. So we pick up what we can find and that was a piece of 4X2. As far as cranky woman go, I built a shed with power and I can survive the occasional misunderstanding, but I do have a sister in-law who when she gets angry can kill at a 100 paces with just a look, so when I go past her place I wear my shades, polarised of course.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345