starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: THC vs Alcohol for a serious lifter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Lifter View Post
    Alcohol is much worse than weed. It also has a much greater impact on your performance. I don't think weed has any impact at all. I'm 50 years old and smoke weed every day.
    You're breathing concentrated smoke every day, into lungs designed for air. Do you drink at all?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller1991 View Post
    Hi Mark,

Since you have been in the game forever and aren't some sort of pinko commie (pun not intended), I am curious about your opinion on this.

I'm 30yo now, and have recently (about a month ago) started using mild thc/cbd products to stop drinking. Had been a 2 handles a week + beer/wine guy for years, and it was beginning to kill me.
    Never was able to quit or really cut back due to dependence on it, but the thc got me off of it in a few weeks.

I hated the idea of using the shit, but the first thing I noticed was my ability to eat skyrocketed (used to not be able to stomach anything until after noon or so) and my lifts started to go up quicker obviously due to the increased calories. But I have next to no experience with/around the stuff so I'm not sure if it is a good long term decision to swap alcohol for thc.

Have you seen any significant deleterious effects of using cannabis products while strength training, and in your opinion is it worth it to use if it keeps me from drinking too heavily?

If it makes a difference in your answer, I have been doing the program for about 6 months my numbers are below.

Male 30yo 6'1"/6'2" 245
    Press 235 1RM
    Bench 305 1RM
    Squat 325 1RM
    Dead 455 1RM
    The pot discussion aside, there's a deeper question here. This reads as swapping one material coping mechanism for another. OP, and this is likely a personal question, so feel free to ignore it or not answer, but what is your motivation to drink or perhaps use THC? What is/are your personal/psychological/emotional/physical problem(s)? Maybe there's a better way of helping here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're breathing concentrated smoke every day, into lungs designed for air. Do you drink at all?
    Yes, that's correct. I also use a vaporizer about as often as I smoke. I drink a couple of times a month, mostly beer. A couple of weeks ago I pulled a 570lbs deadlift after smoking weed the entire night before. My best pull so far is 585lbs. No way I could have done that after a night of binge drinking. I'm also at 325lbs bench, 500lbs squat and +100lbs for 6 reps on the weighted chin up. Not too shabby for a 50 year old pothead that's 5'11" and 195 lbs. lol

I and several of my training partners over the years have set lots of PRs on a hangover. If you want to smoke dope, go ahead, but lots of us drank successfully over the years.

Ok, to each to his own. I'm just not a big fan of alcohol. It's actually one of the most dangerous drugs out there. Marijuana is a plant. So yeah, I'll pass on the poison.

And alcohol is a natural product of yeast fermentation of sugar. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Lifter View Post
    Ok, to each to his own. I'm just not a big fan of alcohol. It's actually one of the most dangerous drugs out there. Marijuana is a plant. So yeah, I'll pass on the poison.
    Have some datura. It's just a plant, bro.

It is well known that people who drink daily, in moderation, die of cardiovascular diseases at a much lower rate than those who abstain completely. It was thought it was compounds in red wine which provided the benefit, but it is the alcohol in the beverage that is cardioprotective. Rip linked to a great article a few years ago that looked into this beautiful reality.

Full disclosure: I am a pothead and a drinker. Both in moderation of course.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by asm44 View Post
    Have some datura. It's just a plant, bro.
    I guess the difference is that one is poisonous and the other has never killed anyone in human history. The difference between you and me is that I think using logic instead of emotion. You might want to try it sometime.

starting strength coach development program
    Ah. Got it. I'll stop drinking.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast