starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THC vs Alcohol for a serious lifter

Default THC vs Alcohol for a serious lifter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

Since you have been in the game forever and aren't some sort of pinko commie (pun not intended), I am curious about your opinion on this.

I'm 30yo now, and have recently (about a month ago) started using mild thc/cbd products to stop drinking. Had been a 2 handles a week + beer/wine guy for years, and it was beginning to kill me.
    Never was able to quit or really cut back due to dependence on it, but the thc got me off of it in a few weeks.

I hated the idea of using the shit, but the first thing I noticed was my ability to eat skyrocketed (used to not be able to stomach anything until after noon or so) and my lifts started to go up quicker obviously due to the increased calories. But I have next to no experience with/around the stuff so I'm not sure if it is a good long term decision to swap alcohol for thc.

Have you seen any significant deleterious effects of using cannabis products while strength training, and in your opinion is it worth it to use if it keeps me from drinking too heavily?

If it makes a difference in your answer, I have been doing the program for about 6 months my numbers are below.

Male 30yo 6'1"/6'2" 245
    Press 235 1RM
    Bench 305 1RM
    Squat 325 1RM
    Dead 455 1RM

If all you need is a buzz, THC is fine. Most athletes smoke dope, always have.

I know how it is, I was your age when I had to stop drinking. That was 25 years ago.
    The problem is that when the other stuff stops working people often keep looking for the next thing and it could be a slippery slope.
    It’s not easy but if you can put the booze down without substitutes that is the best option.
    No moralizing here, believe me. Nice numbers by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    I know how it is, I was your age when I had to stop drinking. That was 25 years ago.
    The problem is that when the other stuff stops working people often keep looking for the next thing and it could be a slippery slope.
    It’s not easy but if you can put the booze down without substitutes that is the best option.
    No moralizing here, believe me. Nice numbers by the way.
    Really? The gateway drug theory? Are you 70?

The OP was drinking 4 gallons of alcohol a week. The fact that he needs THC to quit drinking should tell you that the gateway is already open.

I quit all alcohol 2 1/2 years ago but I do consume THC on the regular. I don’t do anything else besides caffeine and have never wanted to. I have 15 years of continuous use with THC… so here’s my opinion.

Watch out for crappy products… THC is being made in a lot of forms now. Delta-8, Delta-9, and Delta-10, along with CBD. The deltas are an attempt to use the farm bill to legally sell THC in states it’s not legal. I would start slow… try different products independently and see what works for you. Some are euphoric and some are more sedative. Also, I would prefer to use edible or tinctures. There are quick benefits to vap/smoke… but eating is much more beneficial in my opinion.
    The cannabinoid system is very complex in my experience and people react differently at first.

I could go on and on because I have used the products legally, illegally, in Colorado, in Jamaica and in Texas. It’s hard to encompass THC in one post… one thing I can tell you is that the worst thing that has happened to me is I ate a whole pizza and woke up with a stomach ache. A lot of people use it for sleep… I would caution using it right before bed because it does mess with REM sleep… like alcohol.

I hope you find your balance and get your body back to some homeostasis. My uncle died at 45 because of liver failure…anyway to stop alcohol going into your body is a worthy try.

Tommy Gun,

Respectfully, the other stuff never stops working. I have been a very functional pot head for 38 of my 52 years. I have a tremendous tolerance for cannabis and have smoked every major variety that has been developed. My personal favorite is a South African Sativa called Powerplant, which is uplifting, euphoric and motivating without the anxiety often associated with strong Sativas. For post workout relaxation, I choose the hybrid Purple Urkel, which reduces inflammation better than ibuprofen (which destroys my stomach) and muscle soreness, and puts me into a deep sleep if I ingest enough. The Urkel also wipes out my wife's crippling migraines. Cannabis also does not affect my lungs like cigarettes did when I was stupid enough to smoke them. When I was a dumb-ass runner, I would smoke a bowl and hit the road for five miles. I still do before a nice long morning walk.

Anyway, my point is that cannabis is not a stepping stone to harder stuff. I enjoy it in moderation just like alcohol. Even with my experience and tolerance level, there are still varieties out there that are too strong, that I stay away from, like Asian Sativas such as Thai. These days, one can find any type to suite a particular need or taste. I know folks that have put down the needle with very strong, narcotic Afghanica varieties, and I know of meth users that have used strong hybrids and pure Sativas to successfully get off that horrible shit. I also know people who have helped to curb serious drinking problems with hybrids and Afghanicas such as Kush. Now, availability is still an issue in many states and I would never suggest anyone do anything illegal to acquire their herb, but, where there's a will, there's a way.

Good luck to the OP.

Will

The only thing I would add here is often alcoholism is accompanied by depression and anxiety, and THC does not combine well with anti-depressants. For anyone whose drinking has become a major problem, obviously the first priority to do anything within reason to stay dry, but that's just something to keep in mind long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The OP was drinking 4 gallons of alcohol a week. The fact that he needs THC to quit drinking should tell you that the gateway is already open.
    That’s true, and maybe I was a bit belligerent. My personal opinion is that , of the two substances, weed is by far the less harmful.

starting strength coach development program
    Alcohol is much worse than weed. It also has a much greater impact on your performance. I don't think weed has any impact at all. I'm 50 years old and smoke weed every day.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast