starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: THC vs Alcohol for a serious lifter

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Lifter View Post
    Alcohol is much worse than weed. It also has a much greater impact on your performance. I don't think weed has any impact at all. I'm 50 years old and smoke weed every day.
    Sure, but at the quantities the OP was talking about, you would have to smoke like two ounces a day in order to produce the same effect. I don’t think this is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Lifter View Post
    Yes, that's correct. I also use a vaporizer about as often as I smoke. I drink a couple of times a month, mostly beer. A couple of weeks ago I pulled a 570lbs deadlift after smoking weed the entire night before. My best pull so far is 585lbs. No way I could have done that after a night of binge drinking. I'm also at 325lbs bench, 500lbs squat and +100lbs for 6 reps on the weighted chin up. Not too shabby for a 50 year old pothead that's 5'11" and 195 lbs. lol
    Dan John literally has a rule he calls the hangover rule. He says there are weird times when an athlete will actually perform their best after a hangover. It has more to do with psychology I think than anything but don’t come preaching this nonsense when lots of lifters and throwers drink their fair share.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    Dan John literally has a rule he calls the hangover rule. He says there are weird times when an athlete will actually perform their best after a hangover. It has more to do with psychology I think than anything but don’t come preaching this nonsense when lots of lifters and throwers drink their fair share.
    I've noticed that people don't like facts these days. Anyway, I could care less what you or anyone else puts into their body. So do what you do and I'll do the same. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Still View Post
    It is well known that people who drink daily, in moderation, die of cardiovascular diseases at a much lower rate than those who abstain completely. It was thought it was compounds in red wine which provided the benefit, but it is the alcohol in the beverage that is cardioprotective. Rip linked to a great article a few years ago that looked into this beautiful reality.

Full disclosure: I am a pothead and a drinker. Both in moderation of course.

Will
    This is true. Those benefits disappear quickly with heavy usage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Really? The gateway drug theory? Are you 70?
    If you read his post and did some simple math you would know the answer to that question.

He’s not talking about the gateway drug theory. He’s talking about behavioral patterns. Replacing one substance with another is not addressing the root problem. Behavioral modification is the only way to solve his problem. The “slippery slope” if you will is that he will become a pothead and be back on this forum asking what he can substitute for that.

OP- check out the Reddit stop drinking forum; it’s a great place to find support. Also read the book “this naked mind”; it’s a different perspective on alcoholism and a lot of people find it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    If you read his post and did some simple math you would know the answer to that question.

He’s not talking about the gateway drug theory. He’s talking about behavioral patterns. Replacing one substance with another is not addressing the root problem. Behavioral modification is the only way to solve his problem. The “slippery slope” if you will is that he will become a pothead and be back on this forum asking what he can substitute for that.

OP- check out the Reddit stop drinking forum; it’s a great place to find support. Also read the book “this naked mind”; it’s a different perspective on alcoholism and a lot of people find it helpful.
    I wasn’t responding to the OP. And if you read the thread, you’d know that I already admitted I may have been kind of a dick. Having said that, id rather be addicted to weed than booze. Thankfully I don’t have either problem. But I’ve seen them both.

I can probably hang with Tyson and Snoop… I doubt Willie. I hit PRs, sets of 5, and exercise stoned 99% of the time hahaha I love it! HOWEVER, why do we have to fight with people who don’t like it or who drink. I stopped drinking 2 1/2 years ago and it was an awesome decision for me. I not once have told anyone that weed is better or alcohol is bad… it’s just not for me. No one will ever win the weed vs booze debate because it’s not a debate. People use these substances for vastly different reasons and in different quantities, situations, and in the company of others.

On a side note…. I never worry about overdoing it on edibles… that cannot be said with the vast majority of other substances.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    I wasn’t responding to the OP. And if you read the thread, you’d know that I already admitted I may have been kind of a dick. Having said that, id rather be addicted to weed than booze. Thankfully I don’t have either problem. But I’ve seen them both.
    I'd bet that you're a casual smoker. That's why you immediately took offense to the "gateway" theory. Your thought process is like that of other casual users...I smoke weed but it hasn't progressed to heroine or meth so the gateway theory is bullshit.

I'm 45 and in my experience the way weed became a gateway to harsher drugs was that the inaccurate propaganda surrounding marijuana misled people into thinking the more honest warnings about harsher drugs was bullshit too. These days, I don't think that still holds, everyone should know by now that weed is not that big of a deal, it's just another mild drug (like alcohol) that can be used or abused.

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    I'm 45 and in my experience the way weed became a gateway to harsher drugs was that the inaccurate propaganda surrounding marijuana misled people into thinking the more honest warnings about harsher drugs was bullshit too. These days, I don't think that still holds, everyone should know by now that weed is not that big of a deal, it's just another mild drug (like alcohol) that can be used or abused.
    Where do Cheech and Chong clock in here?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    Good thought. In the past, certain administrations did a lot to vilify weed and equate it to much harsher drugs. Today, I think potheads are probably the worst advocates for the legalization of it. They refuse to accept that there are any negatives to marijuana. It's "medicine", it's "from the earth". I need it for my fibromyalgia or my PTSD from being a supply clerk. Inhaling smoke into your lungs is 100% healthy for you.
    It's annoying. Just say "I like getting high and I should have the freedom to do it".

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast