starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are my numbers good enough to compete?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by sirlinx View Post
    I guess I'll never be a Mozart, but perhaps I can be a Ray Charles? ended up enrolling in the meet anyway, got 7 weeks to bring my deadlift up. I was thinking of doing deadlifts on Mondays, stiff on Wednesdays and block pulls on Fridays, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Just out of curiosity, are you implying that Ray Charles was less of a musician within his genre than Mozart was within his and that as such, his accomplishments are therefore much more easily attainable?

If so, I find that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you implying that Ray Charles was less of a musician within his genre than Mozart was within his and that as such, his accomplishments are therefore much more easily attainable?

If so, I find that interesting.
    not at all, Ray Charles was blind and that fact never impeded him to become a great. Since me asking if my numbers are good enough to compete makes me "less of a competitor at heart" in your eyes, perhaps that's something I can also overcome as well. Don't read too much into things brother, I never knew asking for advice in an area I personally know nothing about was going to be an issue.

not at all, Ray Charles was blind and that fact never impeded him to become a great. Since me asking if my numbers are good enough to compete makes me "less of a competitor at heart" in your eyes, perhaps that's something I can also overcome as well. Don't read too much into things brother, I never knew asking for advice in an area I personally know nothing about was going to be an issue.
    Your analogy was fine, understood, and, really, not debatable.

You're on the right track. Just stay the course and follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Your analogy was fine, understood, and, really, not debatable.
    Thanks Barry, I actually listen to Ray Charles quite a bit, never would I try to downplay him. I also love this site and all you guys, it's always my #1 to get advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You're on the right track. Just stay the course and follow through.
    Thanks brother!

Point well-taken. I apologize for being churlish and for not being more encouraging of your desire to compete Sirlinx!

My correct response should simply be for you to "Go for it!" Again, sorry!

Hey sirlinx, Minas Gerais has a federation associated with the IPF: Login • Instagram, might wanna check that out.

If you ever come to the south, there are usually three IPF meets a year in both Paraná and Santa Catarina and a couple GPA/GPC/IPO and WABDL meets in Rio Grande do Sul

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Point well-taken. I apologize for being churlish and for not being more encouraging of your desire to compete Sirlinx!

My correct response should simply be for you to "Go for it!" Again, sorry!
    No worries brother, I understand you're a music enthusiast but I myself really dig old school soul music, it's all good. deadlift already going up after today's work out, I'm getting psyched!

Quote Originally Posted by ReconquistaBarbell View Post
    Hey sirlinx, Minas Gerais has a federation associated with the IPF: Login • Instagram, might wanna check that out.

If you ever come to the south, there are usually three IPF meets a year in both Paraná and Santa Catarina and a couple GPA/GPC/IPO and WABDL meets in Rio Grande do Sul
    valeu irmão! already going through it and will save it for future reference!

starting strength coach development program
    I've never done a powerlifting meet, but I've done a few (local, low level novice) strongman competitions. My general approach to whether to compete or not was have a look at the events and if (out of say five) I had three that I could do (even if not for the maximum reps) then I would give it a go. Mind you, I was never particularly fussed about winning, more about having some cool stories and not making a fool of myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12