starting strength gym

Thread: Using a few modifications to compensate for my height/limb length.

Default Using a few modifications to compensate for my height/limb length.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So let's get this out of the way, I'm short. I'm 5'5 I have short arms and legs with a longer torso. Like a fuggin T-rex. I'm like the world's largest dwarf. I've heard it all.
    But what really hurts is that I just don't seem to bend in exactly the ways that most people do.

When I squat, my hands cannot get behind my neck while gripping the bar because my shoulders and arms just don't move that far back, no matter how wide or narrow I set up my grip, no matter the direction I get my elbows pointing. So, I use a set of heavy duty handles, passed through a loop and strapped to the bar, so that I can get the barbell into the low bar position with my hands out in front of my shoulders. I am able to squat comfortably and have not felt any give in the strap or any hint that the bar could roll off my back. I do have a really solid base, my knees don't cave and I keep at least a 45 degree back angle.

When I bench press, there isn't a flat bench low enough that I can put my feet flat on the floor so I don't get any leg drive, with or without my back arched. My grip width is set up so that my stretched out pinkies touch the unknurled rings. It's not an overly wide grip and the bar only clears the pins by centimeters at lock out, forcing me to unpinch my shoulder blades and push my shoulders forward to rack and unrack it. Alternatively, at the next lower pin height, I end up having to press the bar up 2 inches to unrack it over my face. So, I started setting the bench at a 15 degree incline, which allows me to get my fleet planted, more clearance for the bar, and a solid arch. The same weight even feels lighter with this adjustment.

My press, not a big deal, but I slightly modified it by setting the pin about an inch higher than my shoulders so that when I unrack I get a little rebound at the bottom instead of pressing from a dead stop.

When I barbell deadlift, I smash my junk. The bar comes all the way up to my waist line at lock out. Ball squish city. I LIKE the trap bar because I don't smash my junk with it. It's either that or sumo style for me. I also have small hands and my grip starts to fail after a few reps with anything over 424lbs. So I got a set of Cobra Grips and I don't have to worry about my grip failing.

Anybody else use or coach a modification to make the movements more ergonomic or adapted to their own or their client's weird biological topography? Would you rather suggest I undo these tweaks and go back to putting myself in painful positions to accommodate the movement pattern "as written?"

Sounds like you've got this handled the best way you can.

Are you lifting at home or a commercial gym?

At home, so no spotter.