starting strength gym

Thread: Clubbell Training: is this the peak of strength training ignorance?

Default Clubbell Training: is this the peak of strength training ignorance?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been recently assigned a job to translate an instruction manual for something called Clubbell training, from a company called Tacfit.
    I've only translated a few pages and yet there isn't one single paragraph which is not full of complete bullshit and misinformation.
    It's basically like reading the opposite of the Blue Book.

It talks about the importance of the DISPLACEMENT of center of mass, referring to the center of mass as the mass of the object (which is nothing but a wooden club) instead of the CoM of the lifter.
    It talks about torque as the most efficient way to create force production EXPONENTIALLY ( basically by swinging this club around very fast, you get exponential torque, and, for some reason not explained, exponential force)
    This guy is replacing force-velocity with force production and strength.
    And of course conventional weightlifting is ONLY bidimensional. Whereas club swinging is tri-dimensional, therefore, again because of torque I guess, it's better.
    All of this is preceded by some sort of historical explenation for why this club swinging method is actually older than "conventional weight lifting" because the Persians did it or some shit.
    Plus the story of the creator of this method, which might as well be turned into a fucking Marvel superhero movie.
    And this is just 15 pages in.

Is this Tacfit Clubbell bs famous in the US?
    Have you guys heard about it?
    Because it's ridiculous and infuriating at the same time.
    At least the Crossfit people are fucking up the programming and the technique, but they got the exercises right.
    This is just complete misinformation made out of thin air.

(Rip, if this is not appropriate because it's kind of a free ad, just delete it. I just needed to talk about this with someone that understands what strength training actually is)

Indian Clubs with a new name, and a brand new Starting Strength-like mechanics explanation. It seems we have penetrated the industry.

So these things have resurfaced after a decade or so hiatus? Will Paul Chek be next?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post

Is this Tacfit Clubbell bs famous in the US?
    Have you guys heard about it?
    Because it's ridiculous and infuriating at the same time.
    At least the Crossfit people are fucking up the programming and the technique, but they got the exercises right.
    This is just complete misinformation made out of thin air.
    It sounds like the new shake-a-weight

Coincidentally, I've noticed more and more "fitness influencers" using various club-like implements to swing behind their shoulders. I assume it's because it takes almost zero effort or skill to do that, vs say squat 500lbs to depth or complete a bodyweight press.

But like, how impractical are these things... they aren't loadable, so don't you need like 50 of the fucking things to make any progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Coincidentally, I've noticed more and more "fitness influencers" using various club-like implements to swing behind their shoulders. I assume it's because it takes almost zero effort or skill to do that, vs say squat 500lbs to depth or complete a bodyweight press.

But like, how impractical are these things... they aren't loadable, so don't you need like 50 of the fucking things to make any progress?
    These people don't see strength progress the proper objective way. They think that looking better or being more agile or learning to do bodyweight tricks while holding a club, is progress. They believe the superstition of "heavy weights equals injury". They think barbells are boring and limiting. There is no logic in any of it.
    I've translated their training program for new "instructors", it doesn't make any sense at all, it's just random stuff, random words, no understanding of biomechanics or physics, just...I'm so glad for Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    These people don't see strength progress the proper objective way. They think that looking better or being more agile or learning to do bodyweight tricks while holding a club, is progress. They believe the superstition of "heavy weights equals injury". They think barbells are boring and limiting. There is no logic in any of it.
    I've translated their training program for new "instructors", it doesn't make any sense at all, it's just random stuff, random words, no understanding of biomechanics or physics, just...I'm so glad for Starting Strength.
    Are they still referring back to how the (dot) Indians used such things for centuries and how it made them such superior wrestlers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Are they still referring back to how the (dot) Indians used such things for centuries and how it made them such superior wrestlers?
    This one is referring to an eastern wrestling team he saw using this club thing as an exercise before their matches. And then talked about how it was the very first tool that was used to develop strength.
    Also some study citation about how our hands developed our grip (I guess he means opposible thumbs) to hold clubs and throw stones. Something something about ancient greece, but no India

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post

Nope, can’t do that even if you had 50. The mechanics are different every time. It’s conditioning. And not very effective