starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High School Football Question

Default High School Football Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a HS football strength coach, and I've had our team doing the NLP off and on since November 2019. We were humming along until COVID shut us down in March 2020. Long story short, we have only been able to do the NLP again since April this year. But the results have been dramatic. One of our juniors went from an 85 lb squat to 450 lbs (since 2019). We have the typical problems with them getting enough to eat and missing workouts, but we are significantly stronger. And it shows in our record. 3-7 in 2019, 0-4 in our COVID season this spring, and now 5-3 poised to put up our first winning record in a decade with a win tonight. Plus, we'll be in the playoffs for the first time in a decade.

But now our HC wants to start incorporating box jumps and kettle bell squats. Stuff like that. My question is: How can I incorporate box jumps so as not to interfere with recovery? He's still willing to continue the NLP, but he wants to add stuff. I just need some guidance on how to do it without screwing up recovery.

Standard Head Coach bullshit. You're winning, and it has to have his name on every aspect of the improvement. If you ad shit to the NLP, it is no longer the NLP. They can't recover because you can't get them to eat, remember? It's working now, but he has to "fix" it. Put them all on steroids, kill him, or get a better job. Those are your options.

I knew I could count on you, Rip.

Chris, I heard Jim Schmitz say once he had his lifters do some jumping between sets of the squat. Very low rep stuff. Obviously Jim Schmitz was not coaching novices, however, but very advanced Olympic weightlifters. In Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Forever, he has jumping exercises built into the program prior to the main lift of the day, for purposes of priming the CNS. This program is for beyond novice trainees as well, but if you've got kids squatting 400 lbs, and have been training for a couple of years, maybe they can handle it. These kids are probably playing pickup basketball, or other physical things on weekends anyway, kids being kids. Not sure if 3X5 box jumps is going to push them into the overtrained pool, although it does seem like a stupid idea to play with fire when you're winning with your current approach.

If your kids are squatting heavy 3X/wk currently, you could do a lighter day in the middle with kettlebells, but this would be far less sensical than just taking 50 lbs off the day 1 load. If they're currently squatting heavy 2X/wk, they should continue doing so at any cost, HC's wishes be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNaron View Post
    I knew I could count on you, Rip.
    Look Chris, human physiology cannot be altered according to the whims of your 95-IQ head coach. You have yourself a situation, not a problem to solve. I'm truly sorry, but you're about to outgrow your high school coaching job.

I know, Rip. I wish I wasn't a degenerate football nut. I really do. But I am, so I have to figure this out.

Thanks. I'll definitely try to marginalize this kind of stuff the best I can. working jumps into the warm up sets might be a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Standard Head Coach bullshit. You're winning, and it has to have his name on every aspect of the improvement. If you ad shit to the NLP, it is no longer the NLP. They can't recover because you can't get them to eat, remember? It's working now, but he has to "fix" it. Put them all on steroids, kill him, or get a better job. Those are your options.
    Coach,

This guy's questions is exactly one of the things I was talking about when we were discussing experts and how experts become experts a while back. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people THINK they are experts and they are actually ignorant. Their ignorance leads to them passing down ignorance from their Coach. This is one of the problems with acquiring expertise, if you have the WRONG Coach it won't matter how hard to train or how long you train, etc. Quite frankly, it was not until I read the books, bought your DVD (long time ago now), read these forums repeatedly, that I understood how to train correctly. Even then, it was not until I hired a Coach from SS that I got much better at training.

This ignorance is in nearly EVERY sport as most Coaches do not educate themselves beyond what their own ignorant Coach taught them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNaron View Post
    I know, Rip. I wish I wasn't a degenerate football nut. I really do. But I am, so I have to figure this out.
    Why don't you give him a book? Why don't you pay Coach Rippetoe (after you give him a book) or one of the other Coach from SS to get on the phone or talk with the Coach?

You can also agree with him and say something along the lines of, "I used to incorporate that into the program Coach but I found that it was actually hurting performance in the weight room and on the field. What happened was x, y, and z. Let me tell you the story about x, y, and z. So after this happened to me, I went to this seminar, bought this book that I wanted you to have, etc. These are the top experts in weight lifting. . . I think with their methods we can get to the line squatting around 400 pounds for reps and if we do that I expect we may be the strongest team in the state. . ."

Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    Coach,

This guy's questions is exactly one of the things I was talking about when we were discussing experts and how experts become experts a while back. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people THINK they are experts and they are actually ignorant. Their ignorance leads to them passing down ignorance from their Coach. This is one of the problems with acquiring expertise, if you have the WRONG Coach it won't matter how hard to train or how long you train, etc. Quite frankly, it was not until I read the books, bought your DVD (long time ago now), read these forums repeatedly, that I understood how to train correctly. Even then, it was not until I hired a Coach from SS that I got much better at training.

This ignorance is in nearly EVERY sport as most Coaches do not educate themselves beyond what their own ignorant Coach taught them.

Why don't you give him a book? Why don't you pay Coach Rippetoe (after you give him a book) or one of the other Coach from SS to get on the phone or talk with the Coach?

You can also agree with him and say something along the lines of, "I used to incorporate that into the program Coach but I found that it was actually hurting performance in the weight room and on the field. What happened was x, y, and z. Let me tell you the story about x, y, and z. So after this happened to me, I went to this seminar, bought this book that I wanted you to have, etc. These are the top experts in weight lifting. . . I think with their methods we can get to the line squatting around 400 pounds for reps and if we do that I expect we may be the strongest team in the state. . ."
    I assume you haven’t spent much time around high school football coaches.

starting strength coach development program
    We’ve had a pretty good debate yesterday morning. Then we went ahead and won last night and got into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. So, I’ll keep at it. I have an ace in the hole with a former coach who’s currently a state record holder in the squat. I had originally run the NLP by him two years ago, and he enthusiastically agreed with it. I’m going to try to bring him in. As entertaining as watching Rip tell someone to engage in sexual intercourse with themselves would be, I’d like to keep a good thing going.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast