starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High School Football Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    I think I have read every book on how experts become experts and every scientific paper. And every book and paper on expertise disagrees with Kressner. What any of that has to do with Biden, I have no idea.

Staying in your lane is exactly what the football coach should do because his ignorant coach who coached him in high school on how to lift weights did not know anything either. He took the ignorance he learned from his coach when he was in high school and now he wants to apply it to his football players. This is extremely ignorant. The reality is, if he knew how to lift weights, he wouldn't need the current strength coach who is obviously much better than the ignorant head coach. What makes the head coach dangerous is he is ignorant but he BELIEVES FALSELY that he knows something and he lets his ego get in the way instead of deferring to the expert. The head coach needs to get educated and someone should just randomly drop a SS book on his desk which might or might not get through his thick head.

It is sort of like Coach Rippetoe: I don't question him on weightlifting expertise. I've bought and read every book he wrote and the dvd he put out a long time ago. He may or may not be an expert in something else but on the subject of weightlifting, I know that he is. He was fortunate to train and get coached by high-level people who put him on a different level. This is one of the primary problems with deliberate practice: you MUST have an expert coach and most people don't and most people have no idea their coach is ignorant.

LOL Im not saying that specialization is a bad thing and that we should all be generalists. Focusing intensively on a subject and becoming a master is a good thing. My point was, and I think Kresser's point also was, that when spitballing and discussion solutions to problems, it might be helpful to listen to the opinions of experts from other fields. Certainly, there is a time and place to defer to the experts and knowing when to sit down and shut up is a sign of wisdom. But hysterically bleating, "stay in your lane," is not really helpful.

Furthermore, we should remember that Rip is more of an expert in strength training and coaching novices in strength than the average power tool with a PhD in "ex Phys." But many, MANY in our society would have shouted him down and shut him down because he's not adequately credentialed - they would have told him to stay in his lane and leave the coaching to the experts. See how this works? He brought a different perspective to a field needing an injection of a different perspective. Thats all getting out of your lane really means.

None of this has a lot to do with the football coach issue, I just happened to bring it up in this thread. Unless it does? It seems likely to me that a brilliant expert in tennis might have some interesting thoughts on strength training. Might. Defienlty might be worth listening to. But if you scream "stay in your lane tennis fag" if he suggests a possible cue for keeping the knees out while squatting, you'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    LOL Im not saying that specialization is a bad thing and that we should all be generalists. Focusing intensively on a subject and becoming a master is a good thing. My point was, and I think Kresser's point also was, that when spitballing and discussion solutions to problems, it might be helpful to listen to the opinions of experts from other fields. Certainly, there is a time and place to defer to the experts and knowing when to sit down and shut up is a sign of wisdom. But hysterically bleating, "stay in your lane," is not really helpful.

Furthermore, we should remember that Rip is more of an expert in strength training and coaching novices in strength than the average power tool with a PhD in "ex Phys." But many, MANY in our society would have shouted him down and shut him down because he's not adequately credentialed - they would have told him to stay in his lane and leave the coaching to the experts. See how this works? He brought a different perspective to a field needing an injection of a different perspective. Thats all getting out of your lane really means.

None of this has a lot to do with the football coach issue, I just happened to bring it up in this thread. Unless it does? It seems likely to me that a brilliant expert in tennis might have some interesting thoughts on strength training. Might. Defienlty might be worth listening to. But if you scream "stay in your lane tennis fag" if he suggests a possible cue for keeping the knees out while squatting, you'll never know.
    I would say most tennis coaches do not have any idea how to lift and should definitely stay in his or her lane. Same with the high school football coach. Coach Rippetoe was in fact in the weightlifting field and thus was in his lane. He's not out there trying to tell someone how to play tennis. He's out there trying to tell folks how to lift.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post

The HC was not suggesting cues for squatting.
    His suggestion of adding box jumps and kettle bells to NLP seems to be crossing well past the center line into oncoming traffic.

I'm well acquainted with several very good, professional tennis coaches. All are very concerned with shoulder/RC health. My suggestion to do presses and chins religiously is inevitably met with confusion or outright derision.

Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    I would say most tennis coaches do not have any idea how to lift and should definitely stay in his or her lane. Same with the high school football coach. Coach Rippetoe was in fact in the weightlifting field and thus was in his lane. He's not out there trying to tell someone how to play tennis. He's out there trying to tell folks how to lift.
    I'm sorry I dragged this discussion off topic.

To clarify, fuck this head coach. He's (probably) a tool and an idiot. Good luck with the kids.

And always, ALWAYS Fuck Joe Biden. And yes, it all has to do with Joe Biden.

Another potential way around this (even if it is giving the HC misinformation so you can protect the athletes):

Do some light kettlebell squats as the warmup. Tell HC you are prioritising them by doing them first.
    Appeal to volume/injury risks of plyometrics - how much are they already doing to in practice - should you 'save' their explosiveness for practice so they have more 'football specific' training and better execution at game speed.

The general way to measure volume in a plyometric program is by ground contacts (how many times you land). Even elite athletes do not exceeed 120 ground contacts of high intensity plyos per week. https://melissasultimatefitness.com/...isk-of-injury/

Even under ideal mechanics and conditioning, there is a significantly elevated risk of meniscal tears, ankle sprains, and cartilage damage to the knee. Plyometric exercise injuries | Everyday Health

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Another potential way around this (even if it is giving the HC misinformation so you can protect the athletes):

Do some light kettlebell squats as the warmup. Tell HC you are prioritising them by doing them first.
    Appeal to volume/injury risks of plyometrics - how much are they already doing to in practice - should you 'save' their explosiveness for practice so they have more 'football specific' training and better execution at game speed.
    A couple of ideas for the box jumps, from me, a total non-expert:

1) do just a few reps before the heavy squat sets. As someone else mentioned, there is a view that this amps up the nervous system. I am NOT saying that this is superior to doing the NLP as written, just that it might be a way to add the jumps while doing as little harm as possible. Or:

2) Add some box jumps at the end of the workout, as conditioning. Keep the height moderate and don't push players to increase their height. Just give them a standard-height box well within their ability and have them do 2 sets of 10 or something. Satisfy the HC, and perhaps not do any more harm than a bit of prowler-pushing would do to the NLP. I realize it's more dynamic and so probably more taxing, but at least its basically concentric, like pushing the prowler.

Update: We’re in the semifinals for the first time in school history, meaning since 1959. HC still letting me program the SS way. So, he’s not exactly the stereotype. And, btw, he actually does know his Xs and Os. I’ve been an OC for many years, and I’ve never had more fun in an offense.

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll definitely try to work that stuff into warm ups. Now if I can just get up the courage to ask Rip about metabolic conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNaron View Post
    Now if I can just get up the courage to ask Rip about metabolic conditioning.
    You mean football practice?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes. Exactly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast