Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got the bug, now what?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I will never own a Lamborghini.
    I will never own a Bugatti.

I love supercars and not for their status. I like the idea of trying to make a street legal car look, feel, perform, and be reliable. That’s what a supercar is to me… not a drag, drift, or specialty… but a street car that has it all. The Mustang is really getting my attention. They are coming with a new gen in 2023 and hopefully a new transmission, although I’ve heard the 10 speed right now is nice.

You want a car with an automatic transmission??? Are you a housewife?

I do I do! I have thought about it a long time. For my first sport car I want an auto. This will be for the whole family, not just me. I’m also used to autos, I like my hands being free or both hands on the wheel enjoying the ride. There are also things that one can do with his partner and I don’t want another stick getting in the way

My second car will be a manual… I have already decided that.

If you're into the engineering aspects of cars, that's one thing, but when you relate to strength training, it's equivalent to focusing on the equipment and maybe the mechanics of the lifts. The process of getting strong is more like the process of learning to drive a car at it's limits, something you actually do to improve yourself and your skills.

If you want to get into sports cars, such as the Corvette Z06, then I suggest doing what it was designed it for: driving it at it's limits on a track (the original concept of the Z06 was to produce a street legal car targeted for track enthusiasts). For street driving, these cars are only good for bragging rights and attracting attention; no driving skills are required and those skills can't be safely demonstrated on public roads.

If you learn and practice to drive such cars at the limits, you will enter a whole new world, I think much like what you experienced when you first started training with the Starting Strength method. That would be an equivalent endeavor.

BTW, it can be an expensive hobby, especially if you start doing wheel-to-wheel racing, so I would suggest looking at an older 911 like what was suggested earlier in the thread, or if you like the Vette, check out the C5 or C6 Z06s. Then, go to a driving school, and then find local track events in your area. Try not to laugh, but a Mazda Miata is actually a great car to learn on, although you won't learn about throttle control ;-)

If you want to learn how to work on a car, buy a 12 year old Mercedes, with 150k miles on it; and make sure it is entirely out of warranty. When you see what the dealer charges to repair/replace things, you’ll learn really fucking fast how to do your own work.

If you want a super car or sports car that is somewhat in the realm of affordable, but isn’t a stereotypical Chevy or Ford product, I might suggest the Nissan GT-R. It’s AWD, puts down serious badass power and other than some earlier transmission problems with the 2008-09 models, are quite reliable. Routine maintenance and upkeep is pricey. Things like brakes, tires, and many of the fluids can be double or triple the normal price.

The Mustang line has everything from a base model 4 cylinder to a GT-550. You can customize a package accordingly, as I’m sure you know so no real need to hash over that.

I have grown increasingly fond of Mercedes because the ride quality is just superior to everything else out there. I’m a huge fan of both luxury and sport and I think Mercedes does this best. The AMG C65S is one of my favorites that fits both criteria. The big drawback with any Mercedes product is the cost of maintenance and parts. I do all of my own vehicle maintenance so that’s not as much of a deterrent to me as it is for some, but I’ve also heard there are certain parts (like transmission control modules) that MB refuses to sell to people and demands that they install it. This is a particular problem for me and one of the reasons I refuse to buy one. That said, if you’re going to pay someone to do your maintenance anyway, then you’re already committing to that inflated price anyway.

I know you said “never GM” but the Cadillac CTS-V, especially circa 2014 that used the Corvette LS engine put out around 600 HP from the factory. A tune, a different pulley and some fuel injectors can have you over 700-750 with relative ease. A meth kit, if you can find methanol near you, can boost that even more. They’re nice cars. My buddy has one putting out nearly 700 at the wheels and it’s a rocket.

Regarding automatic transmissions: Many of the modern AT’s have various sport modes that even a decent manual driver can’t outperform. A pro car driver who truly knows how to get everything out of a clutch, may do better, but for an ordinary driver, these newer AT’s are just better. That said, I completely respect and understand the argument of a traditional MT driver that likes to “feel” the car. I get it. I really do. Also, if you’re new to driving something like that, the car will not let you destroy it. The computer will protect you from that (certain absolutely idiotic stunts aside).

I originally skipped this post because of the title.

Based on your statement concerning debt, you probably already know the following and the source. You are an adult and can do whatever you wish. However, some guidelines to follow. Don’t buy a new car unless you have a net-worth over a million dollars. The total amount of things you own with engines should not exceed half your annual income, and ONLY PAY CASH for a car. NO DEBT.

1. Based on those guidelines, a car only does three things, Go, Stop and Turn. Now, which one is more important to you? And how much are you willing to pay for it?
    2. Rip and I discuss cars often, and when the topic of how much stuff costs come up, he reminds me “it’s is the price we pay for not driving Honda Civics”
    3. A friend of mine races diesel pick-ups, he is able to lay out in great detail the price of chasing horsepower.
    4. Are you looking for pure performance? Driving satisfaction? Is this a vehicle that has to serve multiple purposes?
    5. Lay out a plan based on your money and requirements. Then set some rules and start your research.
    6. Don’t be in a rush, remember the goal of car dealers and banks is to take all your money and make you broke, Enjoy the process. Only pay cash.
    7. Research driving schools and take the best you can. It will help inform your decision. Racing schools that only teach you to make left turns may be of limited value.

Enjoy yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    An E46 BMW M3 in manual is a great car to have some fun. Way cheaper than a 911 and more spacious. I think you can get a decent one around $25k.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12