starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got the bug, now what?

Default I got the bug, now what?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I got the bug that will probably bring more pain and suffering to my family and I than Covid could only imagine. I’m talking about the car bug. At 33 years old, after paying off all debt, home owner, kids, I guess the bug had the opportunity to infect me. I would like to learn as much as I can the right way about cars. Is there a book, website, or channel that breaks down vehicles like the SS method breaks down strength? Why certain models, engines, transmissions, and chassis work? I listen to Scotty Kilmer and I like him a lot…seems to distill a lot of BS.

I listened to your car podcast and I too have not been a corvette or Chevy fan. Before cars, and even after my limited research shows the quality of GM is shit. HOWEVER, the new C8 Corvette z06 has moved the engine, fully auto, and is going toward the super car market. Have you looked into it? I think you like manual mustangs so this may not interest you. I really really like this car… I want to ruin my life savings for it lol. I guess this is why I should have stuck to liking Corollas.

I have learned about cars the hard way -- from having one in the shop every week, a process that continues to this day. I have owned dozens of cars and trucks, and have had the opportunity to compare lots of automotive systems, and I have studied mechanics and designs on my own for a long time. If there is a shortcut, somebody will tell us. Wikipedia is pretty good for cars.

I will never own a Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What about the same amount of money on a mustang? My guess is more performance per dollar. But I’m a know-nothing here.

We need some Starting Mechanics to start popping up. I was thinking about buying a beater and learning that way. Just seems like a lot of tools, knowledge, and money. I don’t want to be the guy that just buys a car, but I’m better at saving and making money than working on cars.
    One approach I thought about taking is to buy the car I want and then learn the in and outs of the whole thing. Learn one or two particular models… what years are good, why, how to fix, and where to get the parts…? This would allow me to focus on one particular interest in cars while learning how that car works… I would assume it would transfer to other cars.

I totally agree with you about the Corvette, I never liked them or Chevy. However, I’m really excited that Chevy did this though, I think it will be a watershed moment in American sports cars (mid-engine naturally aspirated V8,). I’m still a noob though, and I’m only listening to what the others are saying. Nonetheless, I’m really excited for the future, because this is something that is always evolving. I now wake up excited to look up strength and car videos. My High school self is shaking his head right now.

Here is the video release of it.. the video itself is awesome.

2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 ? Putting the World on Notice | Chevrolet - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    What about the same amount of money on a mustang? My guess is more performance per dollar. But I’m a know-nothing here.
    It's the aesthetics. Corvettes look too stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post

But hey, they finally made it look like a Maserati. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post

Why are they wearing masks? Really.

Just like everybody else, they are signalling virtue of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Why are they wearing masks? Really.
    Most likely because they were told to. It all masks sense.

Just a suggestion but you might want to drive a 996 era Porsche 911. They are the most affordable 911 generation and they are starting to go up in value the last couple of years. I own one and it's not the fastest car in the world, especially by today's standards. However, you will be hard pressed to find a better handling, better braking, more fun car to drive. They do have a couple of issues with the engines. Do your research and make sure those are taken care of and the cars are very reliable. Mine has 144k miles on it and I would drive it anywhere.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I will never own a Lamborghini.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast