starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hannah Pralle: Muscles are Impolite

Default Hannah Pralle: Muscles are Impolite

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I really liked that. Rich and familiar themes: The screaming into the void. The cognitive dissonance by modern eschewing of discomfort in ourselves and others.

Great writer, I like her style. Her "Barbell Summer" article was great as well.
    I wish people with this kind of communication gift had a much bigger platform to speak to all the lunatics, depressed and brainwashed people out there.

So much in here worth commenting on. It was something that anyone could appreciate, but especially barbell folks.
    I had a weird thing happen the other day. I’ve worked my ass off to be a mediocre lifter. I’m not genetically gifted with strength, but I was given large calf and leg muscles… runs in my family. I was told by another person that my deadlift was in the 400s because I was genetically gifted with large calf’s. I felt like all the hard work to get in the 400s was dropped because of the size of a couple of muscles. This was a person who essentially gave up on barbell training after one back ache, goes to a chiropractor for 7+ years, and thinks his body needs a tune-up ( like a car). That’s all it took to dismiss my hard work and the time it spent educating him. The other guy who lifts heavier in this gym is Asian, just imagine what the do-nothings attribute his strength from?

Barbell lifters know, and the rest will never understand unless they do it.

While I have been aware of the issues you describe, I haven’t thought about them much. Which, or course, isn’t to deny the fact that vanity basically dominates everything.

I do think that strength can be proven to be more useful. Saying it and proving it are different things though. But I suspect you’ve pointed to enough clues to get thinkers thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I wish people with this kind of communication gift had a much bigger platform to speak to all the lunatics, depressed and brainwashed people out there.
    So do I.

Didn't see this thread until I'd posted in the General Forum, but I'll repeat: With all due respect to the many authors of articles on this site, this one was one of the best I've ever read. Excellent work!

Awesome read! Hannah is a gem. I particularly liked: "sad, pudgy girls," "piece of shit," "alchemy of desperation," "predatorial chiropractor" and "impolite vanity." Very good writing.

Any chance of a good photo? I admire her intellect, now I'd like to impolitely objectify her a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So do I.
    The SS Network/Radio and the forum are already a great platform for this.
    This community is one of the very few left that makes sense of the reality around us.
    Amazing what a barbell and some iron can result in with effort and intelligence

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    So much in here worth commenting on. It was something that anyone could appreciate, but especially barbell folks.
    I had a weird thing happen the other day. I’ve worked my ass off to be a mediocre lifter. I’m not genetically gifted with strength, but I was given large calf and leg muscles… runs in my family. I was told by another person that my deadlift was in the 400s because I was genetically gifted with large calf’s. I felt like all the hard work to get in the 400s was dropped because of the size of a couple of muscles. This was a person who essentially gave up on barbell training after one back ache, goes to a chiropractor for 7+ years, and thinks his body needs a tune-up ( like a car). That’s all it took to dismiss my hard work and the time it spent educating him. The other guy who lifts heavier in this gym is Asian, just imagine what the do-nothings attribute his strength from?

Barbell lifters know, and the rest will never understand unless they do it.
    It is a known fact that calves pull 80 percent of the deadlift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast