starting strength gym

Thread: When, exactly, to buy a belt?

Default When, exactly, to buy a belt?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark:

I have read that for beginners, a lifting belt can turn into a crutch and ingrain bad habits. Is there a certain point in the progression that a belt becomes a good idea for squats and deadlifts? I am 5'10 180 with a max squat of around 220 and 1x5 deadlift around 270.

Thanks.

-Aaron

Where have you read this?

Just various googled articles. I don't want to throw T-Nation under the bus, for example, but one article said that over-reliance can lead to imbalances and you should use one sparingly. Squat University, who I really respect, said something similar:

I strongly encourage you to spend your first few years in training for that sport without using a belt. It is crucial during these early years to hone in on developing proper technique. Take this time to cultivate your “natural weightlifting belt.” Doing so will help you build a solid foundation of stability so that if you decide to use a belt when reaching for heavier weights one day, you can do so with better technique.

There is nothing wrong with the desire to lift heavy, but it should not ever come at the expense of technique. While wearing a belt can be very helpful on heavy lifts, the long-term use of a belt on ALL lifts can have some harmful effects. By using a belt ALL the time, the body naturally starts to rely on the passive support the belt supplies. You can potentially weaken your core by relying on the belt as a crutch. Therefore, learning how to brace and create stability on your own with lighter weight should be the first priority of all lifters. For serious lifters, I recommend programming days of training with and without the belt so that you so you continue to build the capacity for maintaining stability with heavy lifting.
    Link removed -- We don't give these people clicks

right away

Now. Buy the fucking belt now. Not wearing a belt is fucking Weider tier misinformation.

Squat University humors me. Not that the information is bad or good, but based on their criteria for going up in weight, we'd all be squatting 185 until we die.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by amack12345 View Post
    Just various googled articles. I don't want to throw T-Nation under the bus, for example, but one article said that over-reliance can lead to imbalances and you should use one sparingly. Squat University, who I really respect, said something similar:

Link removed -- We don't give these people clicks
    First few years? Jesus H Christ, how long do they think it takes to develop good form? That’s even assuming the rest of their premise is correct. Which it isn’t.