starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muscle mass effects on testosterone

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't know how they could distinguish if testosterone is increased by resistance training, or from the effects of resistance training (muscle mass increase if done correctly).
    But muscle itself is not known to produce testosterone as far as I know.
    re the issue around the effects of muscle mass on the feedback loops controlling testosterone production, its a good theory I guess.

Resistance training has helped my libido. But not sure if that is just from ogling the women in the bodypump class.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Same reason they take insulin - to unnaturally force an unnatural amount of unnatural growth.
    You missed my point. If huge muscles produce testosterone, then huge bodybuilders would have huge amounts of testosterone because they were huge. And wouldn't need extra testosterone.

I'm pretty sure most people who take high enough doses of AAS to become huge bodybuilders permanently compromise their body's ability to make testosterone in abundance. So looking to that damaged population for evidence probably doesn't work.
    How are you sure about this?

This is complete bullshit. The Doctor strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You missed my point. If huge muscles produce testosterone, then huge bodybuilders would have huge amounts of testosterone because they were huge. And wouldn't need extra testosterone.

I frequently miss the point. Youre right, of course. Once they go off there would be a huge demand being made.

I listen to a lot of podcasts where former steroid users discuss how they are on lifetime TRT because once they came off, they lacked the ability to produce meaningful amounts of test.

But to OP's point, if a shitty tissue like adipose can be a tool of the endocrine system (aromatase enzymes and insulin insensitivity for starter), there MUST be some way muscle tissue is also. It cant merely be endocrinologically inert.

I hope you know I wasn’t arguing with you, I was presenting that for your opinion. So the answer is no ? Or we don’t know ?

But to OP's point, if a shitty tissue like adipose can be a tool of the endocrine system (aromatase enzymes and insulin insensitivity for starter), there MUST be some way muscle tissue is also. It cant merely be endocrinologically inert.
    Muscle is certainly endocrinologically receptive, not inert.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    I hope you know I wasn’t arguing with you, I was presenting that for your opinion. So the answer is no ? Or we don’t know ?
    We know that the acute and barely measurable rise in serum testosterone during exercise is not metabolically or clinically significant.

Muscle is certainly endocrinologically receptive, not inert.

We know that the acute and barely measurable rise in serum testosterone during exercise is not metabolically or clinically significant.
    Thanks, fair enough.

I frequently miss the point. Youre right, of course. Once they go off there would be a huge demand being made.

I listen to a lot of podcasts where former steroid users discuss how they are on lifetime TRT because once they came off, they lacked the ability to produce meaningful amounts of test.

Yes I found a study that posits that the muscles are an endocrine organ. Skeletal muscle: an endocrine organ
    It focuses on muscle contraction and how a shit load of things are released like myokines and cyrokines which signal to other organs in the body including the brain.
    Don't think it's far fetched to suggest that muscle mass will prevent basically all diseases.

Interesting to see that myostatin myokine is significantly reduced in healthy males 24 hrs post exercises...

Also
    Frontiers | Role of Myokines in Regulating Skeletal Muscle Mass and Function | Physiology

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsongee View Post
    Yes I found a study that posits that the muscles are an endocrine organ. Skeletal muscle: an endocrine organ
    It focuses on muscle contraction and how a shit load of things are released like myokines and cyrokines which signal to other organs in the body including the brain.
    Don't think it's far fetched to suggest that muscle mass will prevent basically all diseases.

Interesting to see that myostatin myokine is significantly reduced in healthy males 24 hrs post exercises...
    This is not a "study" -- it's a review article. Picky detail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12