starting strength gym

Thread: Strength standards discrepancy

Default Strength standards discrepancy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey

I think that the strength standards have been skewed in the bench press and possibly the squat, in elite catagoriea due to anabolics and enhancement coupled with more enthusiasm for chest day and squats vs ohp, powercleans and deadlift.

Or am I just weird?

I can hit elite in the press but barely get intermediate in the bench.
    Also well over elite in the dead and hardly intermediate in the squat.

I feel like these lifts are highly skewed and the dead and press need to go higher or else the bench and squat come down.

I could hit the bench and squat with a good cycle of anabolics, which is why I feel that this is skewed.

I really mean that these lifts are skewed to anabolic lifters who have focused more time of their cycle on bench and squatting vs deadlift or ohp. Or perhaps the body responds to anabolics by having a bigger impact on your bench than your press due to higher muscle mass or androgens... And squat causes more activation of quads and glutes which are larger muscle than infraspinatus and hamstrings allowing bigger
    Squat numbers

The Strength Standards Tables are back up.

Note the disclaimer. Note also the fact that I never refer to the goddamn things for any reason. I recommend that you worry about other things.

Can you do a version in KG so we can pretend to ignore them in metric as well?

So, you don't think the chart is accurate based on your lifts? It sounds like you need to take a hard look at your training methods on the bench press and squat. Those two lifts are way out of whack with your deadlift. The other possibility is that you don't have a favorable height-to-weight ratio. For example, being 5'5" and weighing 198lbs is a lot different than being 6"3" and 198lbs. This has a bigger impact on the bench press and squat, in my opinion.

Everybody has an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Can you do a version in KG so we can pretend to ignore them in metric as well?
    You just multiply with 2.205. You get used to it pretty quick, I have gained an instinctive understanding of pounds, inches and feet since I started SS.

starting strength coach development program
    There's 1732 pages on the covid thread, but only one on arguing about strength standards. Rookie numbers, gotta pump them up.