starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rip: Aesthetics and Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednek View Post
    In the broadcast Mark mentioned that Carmen was training a woman named Julia who had osteoporosis when she started training after 9 months a scan had shown that it had disappeared. Could we have a followup article detailing what Carmen and Julia were doing. I need something to convince my sisters to start training. Both are doctors in their 60's with severe osteoporosis. One broke her 5th metacarpal bone stepping on her vaccuum cord, not the hose, the cord!. The other one broke a rib leaning over the rail of a puppy crib. Maybe Julia's experience will convince them although they are handicapped with MD's.
    If your 2 sisters are smart enough to be MDs yet dumb enough to not have figured this out on their own, its almost certainly because they have a bundle of media induced pre-conceptions that after 60 years NOBODY is going to be able to overcome. Tell them to go on a plant based diet and do yoga, and ask them to put your name on the deed to their house so you can look after it.

You don't have to be of terribly high intelligence to be an MD. You just need a good memory.

My father-in-law, a physician, recently asked for some help picking out an exercise bike. In the course of the discussion, I suggested that in his circumstances, he should consider a squat rack and barbell instead. I made a pretty articulate case for improving bone density, maintaining healthy body mass, and that having the strength to get in and out of the shower regularly may offer a higher quality of life than being able to pedal a bike for 30 min. I even offered to buy him The Barbell Prescription to further my case.

He went with the bike, said he didn't have time for reading, and that he heard squats were bad for your knees.

It's hard to undo 50 years of mainstream fitness propaganda, especially with people who think they know better.

Good for him. A man needs to be confident in his actions.

All I took from this is that I need to get rich by inventing a way to make cocks bigger.

starting strength coach development program
    Legitimate question, based on Rip's statement about confidence: why are people like this? All people. Human beings. Me. You. Why are we incapable of learning without having to hit our thumb first? Is it being inherently safety oriented and personally conservative (i.e. the devil you know is better than the devil you don't)? Fear? Faith and adherence to the bundle of knowledge/value that got one this far in life? I refuse to believe that its actual stupidity. I mean, I myself am probably like this on some point, although I like to believe I am flexible and capable of change and growth, there are probably some issues on which I am not.

Why are people so resistant to change and growth?

I am confronting this right now with my mother in law (a wonderful, kind intelligent woman and grandma to my kids) who enjoys good health in her 70s but after a lifetime of refusing to exercise or even move her body at all beyond the barest minimum is now dealing with a host of medical problems that are caused by this inactivity (digestion, breathing, circulation, energy levels). Amazingly, she is not at all obese since she has no appetite, but she is incredibly weak and deconditioned. If she would just walk around the block twice a day and practice some deep breathing and good posture her life would be infinitely better. But after a lifetime of eschewing the physical, she has zero will or ability to move her body beyond shuffling around her condo. I would love to be able to utter some magic words - not to get her under a bar, but literally inspire her to just walk around the block and breathe fresh air. But she is smart, and financially well off and has trusted in doctors and their magic pills her whole life and she firmly believes that doctors will be able to prescribe her the right cocktail of medicines to make her comfortable and pain free.

So why are people like this? Hubris? Pride? Intellectual sloth? Serious question. Sullivan sees stubborn old people all the time, maybe he has insight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12