starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contracting at failure: Key to Superstrength?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsongee View Post
    Anyway, I'm curious if there are some ways to implement this training in the squat. That is, lowering risk of injury whilst performing similar movement patterns without risking injury when training to failure and attempting to gain super strength. I know the leg press could be utilized possibly, but I'm not sure if it has a good translation over to squat strength at the end of the day.

I have had real difficulty in getting my squat up, and its a big goal of mine to break into the 200 kg territory. I'm currently stuck at around 180 kg x 2 reps and the amount of sacrifice had to do to get them was beyond reasonable.
    Can't beat Coach Rippetoe's advice to attend a seminar and get a coach.

That said, I just watched a video on a lifter's channel that I won't mention--he credited the pause squat in getting him from the 300s to the 700s.

The usefulness of the assistance exercise, he contends, was the focus on maintaining tightness. His pause squat entailed a controlled descent, next the stretch reflex from below-parallel depth, then the pause before driving it up.

Similar pause squats, for post-novices, are considered to be useful assistance exercises (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 237-239).

Given your 390+ squat double, it's probably not to early to consider pause squats. Maintaining tightness is the only way any pause squat is going to work, and tightness is critical to the squat. In my view, the pause squat might be a confidence builder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Squats suck. Hell, MY squat really sucks. But I keep doing them and trying to overcome gravity and my declining geezerish strength. It requires more determination and fortitude than excessive navel gazing analysis.
    I'd like to challenge you to make a post that does not refer to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Can't beat Coach Rippetoe's advice to attend a seminar and get a coach.

That said, I just watched a video on a lifter's channel that I won't mention--he credited the pause squat in getting him from the 300s to the 700s.

The usefulness of the assistance exercise, he contends, was the focus on maintaining tightness. His pause squat entailed a controlled descent, next the stretch reflex from below-parallel depth, then the pause before driving it up.

Similar pause squats, for post-novices, are considered to be useful assistance exercises (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 237-239).

Given your 390+ squat double, it's probably not to early to consider pause squats. Maintaining tightness is the only way any pause squat is going to work, and tightness is critical to the squat. In my view, the pause squat might be a confidence builder as well.
    Pause squats are quite useful -- after 5 pounds a workout stops working. The guy that went from 300s to 700s did not need pause squats to do this. He just used them to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd like to challenge you to make a post that does not refer to yourself.
    You control what gets posted here.

How's that?

Rather than delete you, I'm just encouraging you to adopt a different perspective.

Thanks. Some good advice here regarding pin squats and pause squats...
    Mark you seem to disagree that the man who took his squat from 300-700 due to pause squats, was due to his exercise selection. However isn't it true that adding an assistance exercise can make the difference, for better or worse, to gains.

Also isn't it true that gifted athletes often do train instinctively in the most efficient manner, just as a great painter or artist would often practice instinctively in the best way which solicits results? I know you might say that athletes don't even do full rep squats for example, but we're talking about a great squatter, who got results in his squat not in spite of his training but in accord with it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsongee View Post
    Mark you seem to disagree that the man who took his squat from 300-700 due to pause squats, was due to his exercise selection. However isn't it true that adding an assistance exercise can make the difference, for better or worse, to gains.
    Yes, but's far more true that adding 5 pounds to the bar every time it's possible works better.

Also isn't it true that gifted athletes often do train instinctively in the most efficient manner, just as a great painter or artist would often practice instinctively in the best way which solicits results? I know you might say that athletes don't even do full rep squats for example, but we're talking about a great squatter, who got results in his squat not in spite of his training but in accord with it.
    This is not true. Very few gifted athletes are under the influence of intelligent coaches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12