Open carry - A cane Open carry - A cane - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78

Thread: Open carry - A cane

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    193

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2022
    • starting strength seminar october 2022
    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    A walking cane with a nice round wood handle is basically a shileleigh, weapon of choice for Irish warriors

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    America
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I'm sure the legality of a sword cane would vary from state to state. I'd make sure. Killing someone with a sword cane may be hard to defend in court. Best to be absolutely certain they're legal in your jurisdiction.

    Just my layperson 2 cents worth.
    And you think a jury nowadays won’t consider a cane as a “deadly weapon.” You better have medical evidence you need one, how long have you used it? When did you buy it… prescribed?…. Prosecutor “sir you posted about getting a cane for self defense on a Strength training forum….?”

    Having a cane also brings more eyes to you. Most of those eyes will be people getting out of your way, wondering what’s wrong, or not caring at all. There will be a very slim minority that look at you and see a person they could take advantage of. Keeping your head on a swivel, standing up tall and confident, and going to places with minimal risk may help. If I were a dumb criminal… I would watch for a crippled person who is fumbling with something as they are entering or leaving their vehicle. You can run up, take, and leave before the person can look up from their phone. Old couple I had as clients had this happen to them at HEB a couple months ago. Dude took purse, wallet, and smashed their car window before the old man could turn around.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    Old couple I had as clients had this happen to them at HEB a couple months ago. Dude took purse, wallet, and smashed their car window before the old man could turn around.
    Where do they live?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    America
    Posts
    263

    Default

    This happened near Corpus Christi. They told me he followed them to the car, put a big glove over his hand and punched through the window, grabbed his and her belongs and jetted. i think it was less than a year ago.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    And you think a jury nowadays won’t consider a cane as a “deadly weapon.”
    My concern is that a sword (or sword cane) might actually be considered worse than a gun by both the prosecution and the jury. Running a guy through or even more picturesquely, decapitating him is gonna raise some eyebrows. It's kind of like why you don't want "Kill them all. Let God sort 'em out later" embossed on your defensive handgun.

    If we've learned anything from the Rittenhouse case, let's get all our ducks lined up before going into a deadly force scenario. You kill someone, plan on being arrested and prosecuted, self-defense or not.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    My concern is that a sword (or sword cane) might actually be considered worse than a gun by both the prosecution and the jury. Running a guy through or even more picturesquely, decapitating him is gonna raise some eyebrows. It's kind of like why you don't want "Kill them all. Let God sort 'em out later" embossed on your defensive handgun.

    If we've learned anything from the Rittenhouse case, let's get all our ducks lined up before going into a deadly force scenario. You kill someone, plan on being arrested and prosecuted, self-defense or not.
    That may well be true of the sword cane. But Rittenhouse would not have been indicted by a grand jury in most counties in Texas. It was obvious open-and-shut self defense, without a racial component to wave around, and many prosecutors here would not even have brought it to the grand jury.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    If we've learned anything from the Rittenhouse case, let's get all our ducks lined up before going into a deadly force scenario. You kill someone, plan on being arrested and prosecuted, self-defense or not.
    Here’s a set of papers about that:

    Straight Talk on Armed Defense: What the Experts Want You to Know Amazon.com

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    2,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    And you think a jury nowadays won’t consider a cane as a “deadly weapon.” You better have medical evidence you need one, how long have you used it? When did you buy it… prescribed?…. Prosecutor “sir you posted about getting a cane for self defense on a Strength training forum….?”

    .
    The OP certainly did not mention self defense. But for the sake of completeness, what kind of medical evidence? Context is USA, not Australia.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    i wont ever be on an airplane so i dont care
    I'm curious why you won't ever be on an airplane?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,815

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by od1 View Post
    I'm curious why you won't ever be on an airplane?
    I'm not doing business with the airlines or the TSA.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •