starting strength gym
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry - A cane

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielAcorn View Post
    Not allowed to 'not let them' in the UK. You are at the mercy of nutcases.
    Are there elections in UK where shit like this can be put to a vote? Can't an "MP" put forth a proposed measure - lets say a right to self defense and reasonable use of non-firing weapons (knives, clubs, swords, etc.) that then goes up for a vote? if the other "MPs" don't vote for it, are there constituents who can then vote out their "MP".

Is UK a democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How about if they're in a wheelchair? And an Arizona cop shoots them 9 times?
    It's reprehensible and the full weight of justice needs to come down on the jag-off. But otherwise irrelevant to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    I assume that being threatened by a weapon is far more common than being attacked? If that is true then defense against a threat is a better investment than defense against an attack.

Is that right ( legal and media issues aside)?
    That's hard to say. If it's a mugging, the weapon is used as a threat to immobilize the target for the most part. Generally it works pretty well even at some distance which allow for some easy flight to safety.

If it's a full on attack with no other reason than killing or harming, a la the stabbings in some crowded streets or venues, running, if possible, is still a better choice than standing to defend and getting cut. Because even when shot multiple times with disabling or fatal wounds that the knife wielder might succumb to in an indeterminate period of time, they can still inflict some damage. Using a coat to protect your hands and body or to muffle or entangle the knife can buy you some space if you can keep out of range of the blade and get the coat off in time.

As in the 21 foot rule.

Since the UK has an unwritten constitution it should be easy to change the law (it's theoretically easier to change laws here than in the US) - but it hasn't happened. I don't know why. If I become an MP I'll try.

Since the UK has an unwritten constitution it should be easy to change the law (it's theoretically easier to change laws here than in the US) - but it hasn't happened. I don't know why. If I become an MP I'll try.
    It probably doesn't happen because of the restrictions you have on free speech would prohibit the discussion/debate of facts as "hate speech" or some similar poopytalk like "inciting violence." Americans should take careful note of the effect these sort of speech restrictions can have on seemingly unrelated issues such as self defense. This is probably compounded by the UK government's practical monopoly of the most popular medium of the last 100 years - television. Would the British television monopoly allow a frank discussion/debate on "voylence"? Doubtful.

Oh I just realised you can carry a knife...

"UK knife law allows you to carry non-locking pocket knives with a blade length up to 3 inches (7.62 cm) without any need for a valid reason."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's not onerous. It's just stupid. What are 7 rounds of 9mm going to do that a sword can't do better?
    Any round of any caliber can do something at 15 feet distance and with 7 chances, as someone with minimal training in firearms, I like those odds. To do anything with a sword I have to be very close (3 feet?) . This seems like something a gun can do better than a swrod.

I'd prefer to keep my distance BUT, as I said, I don't have much training or experience in ANY of this shit - guns or swords- so maybe I should keep my opinions to myself.

I was actually kidding. Kinda.

Oh I just realised you can carry a knife...

"UK knife law allows you to carry non-locking pocket knives with a blade length up to 3 inches (7.62 cm) without any need for a valid reason."
    Yeah, my wife got stopped at airport security for an internal flight as she'd forgotten she had her Swiss army knife in her handbag. The security guy went and checked the rules and she was allowed to have it in her handbag.

This really annoyed me as ten years ago I got stopped for having a set of darts on my person. I was told I would have to check them into the hold, which I didn't have the money for, so the security guy got himself a nice set of 22 gram darts. Bastard. I liked those darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    It's reprehensible and the full weight of justice needs to come down on the jag-off. But otherwise irrelevant to this thread.

That's hard to say. If it's a mugging, the weapon is used as a threat to immobilize the target for the most part. Generally it works pretty well even at some distance which allow for some easy flight to safety.

If it's a full on attack with no other reason than killing or harming, a la the stabbings in some crowded streets or venues, running, if possible, is still a better choice than standing to defend and getting cut. Because even when shot multiple times with disabling or fatal wounds that the knife wielder might succumb to in an indeterminate period of time, they can still inflict some damage. Using a coat to protect your hands and body or to muffle or entangle the knife can buy you some space if you can keep out of range of the blade and get the coat off in time.

As in the 21 foot rule.
    Well said Mark. Plus, I don't think a lot of people understand how hard it is to put rounds on target when the bad guy is moving, they're moving and under the influence of an adrenaline dump like they've never experienced. I've only trained with simunitions and that was fairly stress inducing even though the penalty for getting shot is a only a little welt. I can't imagine, nor do I want to ever find out, what being in a fight with live ammo is like.

To be clear here, I am adamantly pro gun and pro self defense. And I'm not saying don't carry a gun but if you do, please train for self defense otherwise the knife guy will close the gap and cut you to pieces before you get a shot off.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Well said Mark. Plus, I don't think a lot of people understand how hard it is to put rounds on target when the bad guy is moving, they're moving and under the influence of an adrenaline dump like they've never experienced. I've only trained with simunitions and that was fairly stress inducing even though the penalty for getting shot is a only a little welt. I can't imagine, nor do I want to ever find out, what being in a fight with live ammo is like.

To be clear here, I am adamantly pro gun and pro self defense. And I'm not saying don't carry a gun but if you do, please train for self defense otherwise the knife guy will close the gap and cut you to pieces before you get a shot off.
    This is why training correctly and often is critical. You make everything about shooting a habit. That way, when your fine motor skills disappear and cognitive capacity greatly diminishes, you don't freeze when faced with a threat. You draw, assess, and fire when the threat stimulus is observed.

As I tell my wife, "I want you performing a reload and moving to create distance/seek cover before your mind catches up."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast