starting strength gym
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry - A cane

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielAcorn View Post
    Knife vs Gun The 21 Foot Rule - YouTube

The '21 foot rule' seems kind of legit if your foe's gun isn't out... So a sword cane might be really good!

In the UK the 'unbreakable umbrella' is our best bet (an umbrella with a solid metal frame) because the law is such that you aren't allowed ANYTHING on your person which is intended for self defense... So an umbrella with the ostensible purpose of protection against rain is my go to.
    Is a regular wood cane legal in the UK? Seems more useful than an umbrella.

I think a wooden cane might be just as useful, yeah. Oh, and I've just realised I've potentially incriminated myself on this forum... The court knows the purpose of my umbrella now.

I feel terribly vulnerable, especially when I walk to the gym late at night. There's nutters everywhere and the UK has a massive problem with knife crime. It doesn't matter how big and strong you are - an 11 year old can tear you to shreds with a blade. They're horrible things. Yep - just politely call the Bobbies Rip (whilst running in circles around a car from a nutter with a blade)!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielAcorn View Post
    It doesn't matter how big and strong you are - an 11 year old can tear you to shreds with a blade.
    Only if you let them.

Not allowed to 'not let them' in the UK. You are at the mercy of nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Is it really that onerous to carry a small 9mm? I have a Ruger LC9 that holds 7 9mm rounds in a resin pistol that is about the size of two packs of cigarettes. My wife has a 45 she carries in her purse thats almost as small, albeit heavier. Larping as an 18th century dandy with a hidden sabre seems really goofy. What am I missing here?
    Has she ever had to get the gun out under the effects of duress and the adrenaline that comes with it? Is it left in the purse with the safety on? If so, give me a Ka-Bar any day.

Also, I like a Ruger, but I rely on revolvers.

In situations where it's not feasible to carry my gun (or in some cases even my Ka bar) I carry a culti-hoe. It's a garden tool so there's literally no legislative limits on it but it's a solid piece of steel (get one that's all one piece) that can easily take a head off if I had to.
    Not that I'd ever do anything so un-ladylike, of course.
    It's also about hammer sized so it fits nicely into a tool belt that matches my nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Only if you let them.
    The only relatively certain defenses against someone even marginally skilled with a blade is to run like Hell or block the hand holding the blade with a blunt force trauma inflictor. Otherwise you WILL get cut. Otherwise it's a matter of stitches, blood loss, or your demise.

"Letting" is a foolish verb to use in such an engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Has she ever had to get the gun out under the effects of duress and the adrenaline that comes with it? Is it left in the purse with the safety on? If so, give me a Ka-Bar any day.

Also, I like a Ruger, but I rely on revolvers.

In situations where it's not feasible to carry my gun (or in some cases even my Ka bar) I carry a culti-hoe. It's a garden tool so there's literally no legislative limits on it but it's a solid piece of steel (get one that's all one piece) that can easily take a head off if I had to.
    Not that I'd ever do anything so un-ladylike, of course.
    It's also about hammer sized so it fits nicely into a tool belt that matches my nails.
    I often recommend a snub nose Smith and Wesson to women for self defense (and have been routinely called a Fudd). Semiautomatic pistols require a degree of competency that the vast majority of people won't train to, and in the case of women, most shootings happen at arms' distance or less. There's no way to easily jam a revolver, and the remedial action is to keep pulling the trigger. If you jam it into your would-be rapist's gut there's no slide to push out of battery, you can do an excessive amount of damage with little training, and anyone can become proficient with point shooting in about fifteen minutes. The muzzle blast with +P is going to do far more damage than the round.

As for the garden tool, well... people have been dissuaded by far less. Everyone should invest in their own competency when it comes to the many facets of self defense.

If you move across the river, Jenni, I'm sure my wife would love to have our kids in the same homeschool co-op as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The only relatively certain defenses against someone even marginally skilled with a blade is to run like Hell or block the hand holding the blade with a blunt force trauma inflictor. Otherwise you WILL get cut. Otherwise it's a matter of stitches, blood loss, or your demise.

Is it? Because running like hell is basically the opposite of "letting" someone cut you.

How about if they're in a wheelchair? And an Arizona cop shoots them 9 times?

starting strength coach development program

I assume that being threatened by a weapon is far more common than being attacked? If that is true then defense against a threat is a better investment than defense against an attack.

Is that right ( legal and media issues aside)?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast