starting strength gym

Thread: Chase Lindley SSC: Halting Deadlifts

Default Chase Lindley SSC: Halting Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

What percent of 5RM deadlift should an older (60) advanced lifter use as a starting point for haltings?
    Thanks.

Thanks for the video. It's the first time that I have actually seen them done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Plano View Post
    What percent of 5RM deadlift should an older (60) advanced lifter use as a starting point for haltings?
    Thanks.
    Rob I would use a weight about 20-25lbs less than what you can pull off the floor for a set of five or a 2x3. Youre going to need to be smart here with the selection so dont go heavy with these just yet.

Rip: a recent call on the podcast lauded the halting/rack pull programming and you mentioend its "in the book" but didnt detail which book: PP or SS? Ive got both PPs and SS - where is it in there?

It's in the Assistance Exercises chapter of the blue book. You didn't read that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's in the Assistance Exercises chapter of the blue book. You didn't read that?
    Yes. I did. Ive read all the books multiple times. But its been a few years. Most of my most intense scrutiny was of the squat chapter. I'll go back.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseLindley View Post
    Rob I would use a weight about 20-25lbs less than what you can pull off the floor for a set of five or a 2x3. Youre going to need to be smart here with the selection so dont go heavy with these just yet.
    Dear Coach Lindley--thanks for following up on this question, as I was wondering the same thing!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseLindley View Post
    Thanks, Chase. My last deadlift workout ended with 465x5. I did my first halting DL workout on Monday at an extremely conservative 285x5x2, which was easy and didn't cause any pain or discomfort over the next few days. Never having done them before, I wanted to start low, but I think I can fairly quickly move up from there. I'm going to follow yours and Rip's advice and mix haltings and rack pulls as I prepare for a meet in March.
    Thanks again for the video and the response.