starting strength gym

Thread: SS Radio #136: Live Call-in Q&A

The end of this episode reminded me of the response from this Formula 1 driver. The real answer… and then the nuanced answer. 😆

James Hunt Big Balls Interview - YouTube

Great episode too. I loved the Bruno story, I have wondered why you disliked him, the story far exceeded my expectations.

I heard both 'foible' and 'eschew' in this podcast. What's next, will you be using 'whilst'? :-)

Is there anything besides an ART massage that can be done for a previously torn hamstring? I've hurt both my hamstrings. Most recently, my right hamstring on the 3rd rep of a squat with 540lb, it just went "pop". Not very painful, but felt fucked up and bothered me lifting. I kept reinjuring while running the starr rheb, and having to restart. I'm finally getting pretty strong again, but it still feels a little wrong. Is there anything else that can be done? Could the stretch from RDLs help break-up the scar tissue?

How long ago was the injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How long ago was the injury?
    9 months ago.

It's already a scar. You can't rehab a scar. Just be careful with it, don't run, and don't do any cleans or snatches.

Mark, it seems all roads are pointing to halting deadlifts and rack pulls. I am intermediate 51 year old 6'3" and 230 pounds pulling 330 x 5 from the floor.
    Before writing this I watched and read what I could on the subject of splitting the deadlift into two. On one video you said this should be used by people who's DL is in 400s.
    I use Dr Sullivan 2 days a week program from his book. One week I do 3 reps, next 4, then 5 and jump in weight 5 pounds after that. It does not go exactly like it's written due to things I can't control like interrupted sleep or whatever. Overall though I am progressing. Now I hear about the split on your program and Chase put up a video as well. It's becoming as popular as intermittent fasting Is it too early for me to split DL until I thoroughly milk all the progress on the program I am on or should I split now? thank you.

At 6'3" and 230 pulling 330x5, you have quite a ways to go before complicating your deadlift training. Gain some weight.

starting strength coach development program
    THANK YOU MARK. Gaining weight is a bit complicated for me. Size 38 pants must also have room for my best friend Glock who lives in an IWB holster with magazine. Going up in pant size is the last resort before committing suicide. Having said that I am eating like it's my job.