starting strength gym

Thread: Big Stan gives a Big Surprise

Default Big Stan gives a Big Surprise

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    PPST 3rd edition

“A bigger muscle is a stronger muscle”

On your podcast with Stan Efferding, you looked surprised when he said he was stronger at a lighter bodyweight. I was surprised to hear him say this. Given that Stan is an elite lifter, I’m uncertain that magnitude of his tinkering with his programming, exercise technique and general recovery practices was responsible for this strength increase at the expense of heavier bodyweight.

Question 1:

Were you surprised to hear Stan say this?

Question 2:

What do you think caused Stan’s greater strength at a lighter a body weight?

I had a similar debate with somebody last month about John Kuc achieving his PR deadlift at a lighter bodyweight. I argued that Kuc’s decrease in bodyweight must have significantly and favourably affected his leverages IN THE DEADLIFT. I also pointed out that Kuc still achieved his total PR at his heaviest bodyweight.

I don't remember the comment. But I do remember when George Hechter dropped from 365 to 242, his deadlift went up 5 kg. Smaller thighs make for better vertical lines over the mid-foot.

No stretch reflex in the deadlift. Lots of bunched up and squished and primed tissue at the bottom of a squat.

I thought it was commonly accepted that people can often end up with a better deadlift after cutting weight due to a number of factors.

Louie Simmons used to say to gain weight until your deadlift goes down then go down a weight class.