starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trap Bar Trash Talk

Default Trap Bar Trash Talk

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, I’m currently embroiled in an argument in a pub with a cocky D1 strength coach. He’s saying if you object to the risky sagittal plane movement in the trap bar deadlift, why don’t you object to it in the squat?

I told him that sagittal plane movement in the squat does exist but not to anywhere near the same level of risk as it does in the trap bar deadlift at heavy poundages.

Does that suffice or would you add anything?

Ps. I think I might buy this strength coach a cocktail with a pink umbrella in it at the next round at the bar.

The sagittal freedom in a squat has a lot more muscle mass to control it than the arms swinging around at the top of a trap bar "deadlift." Ask him if he knows what muscles control it in the trap bar version.

He’d left the bar before I saw your reply. I texted him your question and his reply was:

“Enough muscles to control it and have it as a useful lift to get some of my guys deadlifting 600 for sets across for the last 2 years injury free”

My response was: “Imagine how strong they’d be if they conventional deadlifted”

His reply: “Yet there they are, deadlifting 600 for sets across. What do you deadlift for your sets across?”

I know I made a good point to him but his last response has left me feeling a bit less manly after the citation of his bull strong athletes. I shall carry on with my 15th beer…

Ask him for a video.

A video of his team’s 600 sets across trap bar deadlifts? Ok, I’m on it…

No, their 600 across conventional deadlifts. Trap Bar is not a deadlift.

He won’t send the video because he says some of his guys are under pro contracts and does not want to share footage without their permission and wide-cast to competitors. He sent me the following link telling me “if this old fart can do this, it’s not exactly a huge leap of imagination that his guys routinely handle 600 for sets across”.

272.5 kg (600lb) trap bar deadlift x 2 - YouTube

I know I’m right but now angry (and drunk) because I feel he’s beating me here Rip.

To clarify, he referred to his team’s 600 trap bar deadlift sets across as “deadlifts”. He says he doesn’t use conventional deadlifts as they are “not necessary for him to get the athletes bull strong” and that his athletes “prefer” the trap bar.

I would make the point that I bet they do prefer the trap bar deadlifts because they’re easier and perhaps he can’t coach the conventional deadlift properly, but he’ll just loop back to his argument “Yet here they are…bull strong”

To which I say “Yes there they are, not as strong as they could be if they conventional deadlifted”.

You're fucking up perfectly good beer here.

starting strength coach development program
    Hahahahahahaha! You’re right Rip, fuck him! Cheers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast