starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vasovagal Syncope During the Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    What would the difference between 165 and 195 lbs be that would be different? Are you changing where you are holding your breath on the heavy sets when you valsalva?
    I'm not a doctor or scientist but simply speaking I think the difference is that his muscles are asking for more blood/oxygen at 195 and less is getting to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I attached a picture of me taking my grip while the bar is racked and also of me in the bottom position with the bar unracked. This is a pretty standard grip for me, with the inner part of my palm lining up on the transitions between the smooth bar and knurling. I've tinkered around by going 1/8"-1/4" in from this as well as about 1/8"-1/4" out from this grip with no real changes.

Attachment 7950

Attachment 7951
    1) I dont see a belt. Are you not wearing a belt? Proper use of a belt will help you maintain pressures throughout the system and may help with your problem.

2) I frequently have this same problem and have crashed to the floor, blacking out with the bar overhead, at least 4 times. Twice this past year or so, in fact. High sodium intake is essential to life - do not let the naysaying nancies fear monger you into a low sodium diet unless you have a specific condition (not just "high blood pressure") and a doctor has specifically told you to limit sodium. I have found that being well fed, well sodiumed and well hydrated (which requires being well sodiumed) greatly mitigates the issues.

3) It may not be dogma, but warming up to a single with the weight you intend to use for your work set , then racking the bar may prime your system to maintain proper pressures. There is also "over warming" up which is where you got to a heavy single just over your 5 rep work set weight. I have found both these tricks to to be helpful in staying on my feet.

4) again, wear your belt.

Why do we have to tell these people to wear a belt? So very weird. I mean, why do I write all this shit that nobody reads?

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    1) I dont see a belt. Are you not wearing a belt? Proper use of a belt will help you maintain pressures throughout the system and may help with your problem.

Good clarification. But maybe it was just a photo-op for the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    2) I frequently have this same problem and have crashed to the floor, blacking out with the bar overhead, at least 4 times. Twice this past year or so, in fact. High sodium intake is essential to life - do not let the naysaying nancies fear monger you into a low sodium diet unless you have a specific condition (not just "high blood pressure") and a doctor has specifically told you to limit sodium. I have found that being well fed, well sodiumed and well hydrated (which requires being well sodiumed) greatly mitigates the issues.
    I've had this lightheadedness at the top of the press too. I started drinking more water and eating a little more salt, and it helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why do we have to tell these people to wear a belt? So very weird. I mean, why do I write all this shit that nobody reads?

People open your articles, read through the first two paragraphs and call it a day. This is the Twitter age, literate people are a completely dying breed. This is the reason for the future financial success of the SS method for people wanting to make a living out of it. You have given an open source blueprint for everyone to learn the lifts and get strong. Even a 30 percent application of your method leads to results that are many many times superior to anything else out there, as I can attest to personally. However, since a fraction of the people who buy your books actually read your books (not even ten percent), room has opened up to make it into a gym franchise. It is the one of the strangest things I have ever witnessed.

That’s correct. My grip is the same whether it’s empty bar or 195. In this case, I just stepped out in the garage real quickly to take the pic. It was during my test day. I put on a belt at around 135 pounds.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Seriously, gentlemen: wear the belt, buy some shoes, eat your meat, fuck your mother in law if your wife is sick or out of town, get some chalk, whiskey neat OR with some water...the fucking basics...time and time again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12