starting strength gym

Thread: SS Radio #140: The Movement Pattern Problem

Default SS Radio #140: The Movement Pattern Problem

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Mini rant: at the gym today I was squatting... now I'm not a huge bodybuilder type but if you looked at me you would probably think I lift weights and have done it for a while. I was also squatting a good amount of weight for a good amount of reps. When I'm done with a set, I notice a dude who was using the leg press was just staring at me. Skinny guy, no muscle mass, one plate on the leg press. I was out of breath so I didn't engage. About thirty seconds goes by and he goes "You know you were squatting like this, right?" and he holds his hand at this angle: /

I just looked at him with a funny face and he went back to what he was doing.

What enters people's brains when they decide to make comments like this to strangers, who are obviously more experienced and likely more knowledgeable than they are?

Alright, rant over, Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

It's dumbfounding. The quality of people at a standard commercial gym is worryingly low. It's no shit one of the things that got me into the gym business - I wanted to get as far away as possible from the people that frequent 24 Hour Fitness.

Maybe the guy was just worried about you. I got a guy in my gym, a nice guy, just fairly stupid, really worried about safety due to lack of intelligence. He always thinks I’m gonna hurt myself.

We had a physical therapist who worked acute hospital work come and speak with us about standing patients up. It was around the same time I was getting into SS (2015). She was a an old school PT who worked acute hospital for a while. Bullshit does not pass easily in the acute setting, 300 pound stroke patients don’t fall easily. I didn’t know it at the time but she basically taught us the squat method. She reiterated the importance of coming to the edge of the chair, feet underneath COG, wide hips, and she even alluded to using “your butt” and not your knees to stand up. The coolest thing was her explanation for leaning forward, having a horizontal back and not starting vertical. It reminded me of your deadlift explanation to picking things up that are closer to you. She learned this from many years of getting big people out of chairs. She also stated we probably wouldn’t get this instruction again from another PT and that we should learn it and understand it. She was there to teach us other things but spent most of the day on why biomechanics for stroke patients (really anyone) is so important. I learned more from her in one day than many months of traditional education. Thinking back on it, she is kinda a unicorn in the PT world. I also never had another PT explain it that way either.

Find her. I'd like her to write an article for us.

I am currently not in contact with that world but I’ll see what I can do. Since the pandemic I have been out of the medical field for the most part. But yeah, that lecture was insightful.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    It's dumbfounding. The quality of people at a standard commercial gym is worryingly low. It's no shit one of the things that got me into the gym business - I wanted to get as far away as possible from the people that frequent 24 Hour Fitness.
    Ray, I'm in CLT for Christmas and got a free pass to Anytime Fitness. I can honestly say that being in there affected/effected/impacted my workout. It was awful; now some of that is my fault for letting outside interference get in my head. So, I found Fitness Factory, paid $150 for 10 days...then got COVID.