starting strength gym

Thread: College Station and Bodybuilding Programming

Default College Station and Bodybuilding Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip and SS team,

These questions seem more suited as podcast questions but I am not sure where to submit them. I am considering going to Texas A&M for graduate school and am curious on what Texas natives have to say about the area and the university. The school is one of the best agriculture schools in the world and cost of living is low enough for me to purchase a small home which makes it a very appealing option. I am also curious as to how you would address programming for bodybuilding as opposed to strength. I know you typically stay in your lane, but would like to hear your opinions on the matter. Obviously I will be keeping heavy sets of 3 and 5; strength is essential to developing a good physique. I know that this was addressed recently in the training for "aesthetics" podcast, but I am specifically curious on the programming.

Merry Christmas,
    Kempton

College Station in south Texas is a little too humid for me. But the school is well respected, as you have observed. It is, however, a university, and has the same problems common to all institutions of higher learning in 2021. I recommend you rethink the usefulness of a degree from any university. And I don't recommend "bodybuilding."

Hot and Humid with good people. I would also reconsider what a degree means to you and your future. I graduated from college in 2015 with a degree that got me a job immediately. However, I wouldn’t dare go back for a host of reasons. I would rather spend that money on a Ferrari, go down the strip and pick up girls for 4 years than get a useless degree. You will meet more people with the Ferrari that can take you places, you get to drive it, and you can at least trade it in when it goes to shit (it will).

I’m joking, but in a serious way. College have become worse than a used car lot.

Indeed. You have to update your opinion of The University.

I got several guys in the gym who are doing this bodybuilding kind of programming. Most of them are pretty much just fucking around with the dumbells and they are pretty small. The two biggest and best looking ones just do a few sets of heavy benches with a few sets of heavy dumbell benches. So I don't know, do sets of ten on the bench, but do it with 280 or 300.

Although I find myself in agreeance that the majority of college degrees are not worth the time and money, I have spent my time studying a hard science and tend to believe most STEM degrees are worth the time and money. All the schools I applied to for graduate programs offer a stipend and waive tuition which is also very nice. I hate the humidity, but I have lived my whole life in the southeast, so it does not bother me anymore.

As for "bodybuilding" I tend to think that strength is the main component, but it does involve some different factors than strength training. I do not care for much bodybuilding post silver era anyway. The bottom line is strong guys have good "aesthetics" and guys with good "aesthetics" are strong.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempton View Post
    Although I find myself in agreeance that the majority of college degrees are not worth the time and money, I have spent my time studying a hard science and tend to believe most STEM degrees are worth the time and money. All the schools I applied to for graduate programs offer a stipend and waive tuition which is also very nice. …
    I think much of this board agrees that there is immediate value in STEM degrees. Also, as you imply, if you pay for a grad degree in STEM, you’re doing it wrong.