starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to do the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression

Default How to do the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I listened to this whole thing. You guys really, really overcomplicated it. I understand there needs to be instruction on how to transition into late Novice LP and that it should be explained, but presumably this podcast was for people starting up in Janaury. All they need to know is MWF; Sq, B, Pr, DL, PC; add 10 pounds, then 5 then 2.5 per workout. Then spend some time explaining why this simple and straightforward protocol works so well. .

The late novice LP discussion in this podcast is potentially confusing for noobs. Hell, I was a little confused and I understand the need to slowly transition into HLM style intermediate training templates.

No hate w this post, just some constructive criticism.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    All they need to know is MWF; Sq, B, Pr, DL, PC; add 10 pounds, then 5 then 2.5 per workout.
    Fat- Feedback is appreciated. I think most people are aware of the where to get started - the summary that you've provided above. Where I find people get tripped up is when that stops working. Things do get more complicated. We did our best to make it clear and straightforward. If you have any suggestions on what we could've done better in the way we presented this information, that'd be helpful, but presenting the information was the purpose of the podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    All they need to know is MWF; Sq, B, Pr, DL, PC; add 10 pounds, then 5 then 2.5 per workout. Then spend some time explaining why this simple and straightforward protocol works so well.
    This would've been a really short conversation that's been rehashed billions of times. Almost every single person who's ever paid me for coaching has paid me lots of money because they don't know how to not get stuck or how to get unstuck. I'd also prefer to start with the assumption that I don't need to convince anyone listening to the SS Gyms podcast that getting stronger using the NLP is a good idea and that's it's a simple implementation. If I was talking to people unfamiliar with what we do, we'd have spent a bunch of time talking about the NLP, simplicity, and the need for strength training.

I thought it was interesting, personally. You guys don't find that benching and pressing heavy on the same day causes the second one in the order to suffer even a little bit? since cutting a bit of weight, I've been running a 4 day upper/lower setup and haven't really moved my upper body stuff into intermediate programming yet, and I find that the press, which I do second after the bench, tends to not go as well as it normally would. I even have a different sticking point than normal when it follows the heavy bench. Usually my press starts to go just before it passes my head. If I can get it past there, the rep will be good. Now it's actually getting caught up a bit closer to lockout. Haven't missed a rep yet, but I've had some grinders.

I really enjoyed this video, and not only because of Nick's beautiful voice. My only criticism is that it didn't come out a few months ago. I would probably have managed my transition differently had I come across this information in such a clear, concise and well-rounded package.

You guys don't find that benching and pressing heavy on the same day causes the second one in the order to suffer even a little bit?
    I was afraid this would happen to me so I programmed those lifts on separate days. If I had to do them in a single training session, I would do the press first because 1) I find the press less fatiguing than the bench and 2) improving my press is a higher priority than improving my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I thought it was interesting, personally. You guys don't find that benching and pressing heavy on the same day causes the second one in the order to suffer even a little bit? since cutting a bit of weight, I've been running a 4 day upper/lower setup and haven't really moved my upper body stuff into intermediate programming yet, and I find that the press, which I do second after the bench, tends to not go as well as it normally would. I even have a different sticking point than normal when it follows the heavy bench. Usually my press starts to go just before it passes my head. If I can get it past there, the rep will be good. Now it's actually getting caught up a bit closer to lockout. Haven't missed a rep yet, but I've had some grinders.
    Have you tried pressing first?

I thought it was a good video and enjoyed it very much. I like the directness that Nick presented. This is hard work and you can't skip workouts. And I am guessing since I still newish at this, that once the gains stop, a trainee will have to find a modification that will spur on growth once again.

But the one thing that can never change is the trainee must show up and be prepared to work.

Good job guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I thought it was interesting, personally. You guys don't find that benching and pressing heavy on the same day causes the second one in the order to suffer even a little bit?
    They absolutely interfere with each other. The press interferes with the bench less than the other way around. But you will have to focus on one a little more than the other, and you also will adapt to the upper body work.

As a general guideline, do the one you suck at first. For most people, that means they will press first.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    only because of Nick's beautiful voice.
    This is the most important part of your post. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast