starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to do the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Count me in!

Also a fangirl of Nick's beautiful voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    They absolutely interfere with each other. The press interferes with the bench less than the other way around. But you will have to focus on one a little more than the other, and you also will adapt to the upper body work.

As a general guideline, do the one you suck at first. For most people, that means they will press first.
    Well, my bench is almost 100 pounds ahead of my press, so I guess it's obvious which one is the one that sucks. I'll try switching the order, though I suspect it might be smart to try and cut back my bench a tiny bit if I do that. I was doing bench first since I was basing the programming off one I read in the Barbell Prescription, which recommended benching first.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    This is the most important part of your post. Thank you.
    Also, you have an outstanding haircut. Just like mine! Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    I listened to this whole thing. You guys really, really overcomplicated it. I understand there needs to be instruction on how to transition into late Novice LP and that it should be explained, but presumably this podcast was for people starting up in Janaury. All they need to know is MWF; Sq, B, Pr, DL, PC; add 10 pounds, then 5 then 2.5 per workout. Then spend some time explaining why this simple and straightforward protocol works so well.
    I disagree: this podcast dispels the perception that NLP is “add 5 lbs, grind, die.” How many people know back-off sets have a place in NLP?

The part about the performance in the press dropping off was perfectly timed for me. "Just get the 15 reps" is exactly where I am in there. Doing a hundred kilo press seems so far away right now.

When I add the extra day of pressing and do heavy singles, how do I determine what constitutes a heavy single? Monday I did 175 for 5 sets of 3. I think I’ve got a few more workouts of progress as it is but I’d like to try the extra presses each week.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithI View Post
    When I add the extra day of pressing and do heavy singles, how do I determine what constitutes a heavy single? Monday I did 175 for 5 sets of 3. I think I’ve got a few more workouts of progress as it is but I’d like to try the extra presses each week.
    Watch Nick's video "Press and Bench Press Programming - Getting and Staying Unstuck". You'll find the answer to your question, and a lot more, there.

Nick's advice on the back off squat sets got me through a sticking point and to a PR of 400 lb today. I had read it in PP but didn't really know to apply it.

I had been dreading 3x5 squats all the way from 340 lbs and at about 370 my form was deteriorating SIGNIFICANTLY and I just felt beat mentally and physically. Once I heard this podcast I felt like I should try the back off sets. A high set of 1x5 is so much less intimidating and much easier to focus. Instead of having ~5 out of 15 reps be good, now I'm getting about 10 -12 good reps and the top set keeps going up. I'm now confident I can fix my form issues without resetting. My press also got unstuck as I had much more in the tank after the squat.

Thanks to Nick and Ray. Repetitive or not, sometimes it helps hearing things several times.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    I had read it in PP but didn't really know to apply it.
    People forget this part. It's all in the Gray Book.

starting strength coach development program
    I thought your information on press programming was very useful. To clarify, on NLP when you can’t do 3 sets of 5 anymore without stalling (and you’ve addressed the 3 questions etc) you try and squeeze out the reps as best you can ( even if you do an additional set of 3, for example because your last sets were 5,4,3 to make up the total 15 reps)? Then when that fails you switch to 5 sets of 3, then singles to get to your 15 rep total?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast