starting strength gym

Thread: Applying the SS Method to Arm Wrestling

Default Applying the SS Method to Arm Wrestling

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

Many arm wrestlers have adapted popular strength programs to arm wrestling training in an attempt to get better at the sport. The most notable is Todd Hutchings who has adapted the Westside Barbell Conjugate Method to his arm wrestling training. As a result, he is known as probably the strongest arm wrestler in the US and has proven that Strength>Technique in Arm Wrestling.

Having successfully used the Starting Strength Linear Progression model as your present in the book for barbell training, this got me thinking that the model is probably applicable to arm wrestling training as well as the best way to rapidly accumulate strength in the foundational arm wrestling movements.

I assume you are unfamiliar with what the foundational movements are since I have heard you talk about arm wrestling here and there and you do not seem very interested in the sport. The foundational movements to train are:

-Side Pressure, the ability to go from the starting position and dragging your opponent in a sideways direction toward the pin pad.

-Back Pressure, the ability to go from the starting position and dragging your opponent back toward your side of the table.

-Wrist flexion, the ability to curl your wrist, mostly used for an inside move called "hooking".

-Wrist Pronation, the ability to pronate your wrist to put your opponent's hand at a mechanically disadvantageous position, mostly used as an outside move called "Top Rolling".

Of course I am going to continue to train the foundational strength movements as they obviously make you stronger at everything, but I am wondering if you have any thoughts you can give on how to apply the SSLP method to the specific arm wrestling movements listed above.

You advocate sets of 10 on barbell curls. Do I also need to move the amount of reps per set up on the specific arm wrestling movements because smaller muscle groups don't respond in the same way as the big lifts with sets of 5? Obviously the incremental weight increases would have to be much smaller then the barbell lifts. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bscull13 View Post
    Of course I am going to continue to train the foundational strength movements as they obviously make you stronger at everything, but I am wondering if you have any thoughts you can give on how to apply the SSLP method to the specific arm wrestling movements listed above.
    The SS method does not apply specifically to anything other than getting stronger.

The Two-Factor Model of Sports Performance | Mark Rippetoe

How long have you been arm wrestling Bscull?