starting strength gym

Thread: Hiatal hernia repair?

Default Hiatal hernia repair?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

I know you have a hiatal hernia and reflux so I wanted to get your opinion. I have a hiatal hernia and a loose LES, and have suffered from chronic gastritis as a result. The damage is only in my throat, and everything lower is perfectly fine. I assume that acid is not my issue, but rather aerosolized pepsin, as PPIs, your vitamin C fix, and any all other acid remedies I've tried have had no impact. I got a referal to see a surgeon today, and will discuss a repair. I assume they might suggest a nissen fundoplication, which I will of course not do. However, I'm hoping the surgeon will be willing to just repair the hernia, and by doing so fix my reflux issues.

Do you have any thoughts on this? And if I do get the repair, do you have any advice regarding rehab?

I'm 29, 215lb, pulling over 600, squatting over 500, overhead pressing 225.

I've never even considered having mine repaired. It is only a problem occasionally, and I manage it by not eating chicken breast. I know two people who had the Linx implant, who have had good success with it. Do you take a lot of sildenafil?

Nope, I don't take any medications. I do have other side effects from the hiatal hernia, like nausea and lack of appetite, which gets better at night. So, for the past 10 years I've gotten most of my calories right before bed since I wanted to be big and strong. I assume that has made everything worse. But, due to doctor incompetence, I didn't know I had a hiatal hernia until recently, and haven't gotten much help other than being offered more PPIs. Today the first thing the doctor said to me was that I need to lose 25 lbs immediately (I'm only 215 at 6ft). But I got him to write me a referral to the surgeon (required in Germany), so I guess he did what I wanted.

Why does chicken breast cause you problems? I don't eat them, but just curious.

It's dry, doesn't slide down well. A huge percentage of the population has a hiatal hernia. I would not let them do any surgery now. Manage it as you can.