starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRT for 65+ with Heart Issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    That's a great question. My guess is that it has something to do with what the DEA (not your doctor) believes to be a therapeutic dose.
    I fear you are correct, but even then, the dickheads at the DEA and the other agencies that make the rules must predicate their decisions on some sort of objective data, even if it is imperfect and wrong. What is that data or expert opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    I fear you are correct, but even then, the dickheads at the DEA and the other agencies that make the rules must predicate their decisions on some sort of objective data, even if it is imperfect and wrong.
    What makes you think this? I think you are confusing "what should be" with "what is."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What makes you think this? I think you are confusing "what should be" with "what is."
    Well, they know enough to measure it in mgs, not mcgs or grams like other substances. Admitted, most drugs are in mgs, but still...what is it about 100mg/week thats fine and dandy but (for example) 200 mgs isnt? or maybe its 400...or 750...I have no idea. As you have pointed out, I think, giving somepone a 1g dose of test doesnt do anything to them acutely, other than MAYBE co-related to a few pimples a week or two later....maybe...

We will be doing a podcast with Keith Nichols MD about TRT very soon, and this will be the primary topic of discussion.
    Thank you Mr. Rippetoe. I very much look forward to this podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    ...if your H&H is problematic, bleed it off (OP's friend should learn how to do it for himself)
    Interesting idea, this assumes the H&H IS a problem which seems to be a little questionable but "conventional wisdom" would seem to imply this. I will suggest this. If he resist this idea; I may just hit him with the truck and pull some blood off that way :-)

Just putting this here for reference when the podcast comes out if this is not addressed for further discussion...

Left ventricle hypertrophy (and general cardiac remodeling cascades) from constant androgenic exposure (supraphysiological at least at the start of the week after injections or sustained due to use of higher than replacement dosing) opposed to pulsatile endogenous cycle of androgens.

Left ventricular hypertrophy is not necessarily pathological. I’m not sure it’s a good endpoint to discuss.

In fact, LVH is a normal adaptation to heavy lifting. Has nothing to do with androgens.

Did masks seem like a good idea for stopping the spread of the virus? Of course they did. Except for the fact that they don't, it was perfectly plausible.
    I think that the “studies” and “data” that we have with evidence on this are along the same lines of people saying they have issues with Starting Strength—compliance. When mask mandates were in effect, what were people wearing as a mask and how were they wearing it? How many people had the mask around their chins or with their nose out? How many people wore a bandanna like a bank robber in an old western? I too am suspicious of cloth masks doing much at all. But in the infectious disease wings of hospitals apparently the patients don’t wear masks at all, but the doctor does when going in the room. They wear an N95 mask and it must work as they would know whether or not the doctors pick up tuberculosis, or whatever from going in the room.

Thanks for planning to do this follow up podcast with Keith Nichols. This is a very important topic and so much bad information out there on TRT. A local endocrinologist told me that I could not do TRT with hematocrit of 52.2% and hemoglobin of 18.2 g/dL. In fact she said I could have a heart attack or stoke at any time and that I should go see a hematologist. She gave me a form so that I could give blood every week and that if I do that and take a baby aspirin every day, that maybe in a few months I could get the hemoglobin to 15 or less, where she would feel comfortable doing TRT, but maybe it would be too high and I’m just SOL. And she is one of the better ones out there not pushing estrogen with TRT. I’m not going back to see her again obviously.

starting strength coach development program
    There is a big difference here; The SS program is very easy to comply with in a way that makes it work, but the hypothetical perfect compliance mask scenario is not possible and only works in oversimplified computer simulations.

TB is not something that typically spreads in a medical setting, except to people who are already sick or immunocompromised.
    It cannot be used to assess if the masks are protecting the doctors.

We should not still be having this mask debate two years later when the data are so clear, so I am going to suggest you do more research on the topic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12