starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #156: Great Movies with Rip and Musser

Default SS Radio #156: Great Movies with Rip and Musser

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I watched citizen Kane a while back and was bored out of my mind. Maybe it was cinematically ground breaking when it was made.

My first three viewings of seven samurai ended falling asleep @ the 30 minute mark. 4th attempt I made it through. First 40 minutes or so were still intolerable. Wish it could have been in color, because I'd imagine the forest and flower scenes would have been beautiful. One shot, the camera basically climbs the hill with one of the samurai, which I found fascinating, made back then. I'd imagine this film is so important bc was the first of its kind (like you all said).

Star Wars..... Rusty, give the mandalorian a shot. The original trilogy is special. Mandalorian is very very good. The rest of the star wars world so far is garbage, with the possible exception of clone wars, depending on who you ask. Mandalorian season 2, episode title 'the jedi' is the best hour of star wars outside of a new hope and empire strikes back.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I watched citizen Kane a while back and was bored out of my mind. Maybe it was cinematically ground breaking when it was made.

My first three viewings of seven samurai ended falling asleep @ the 30 minute mark. 4th attempt I made it through. First 40 minutes or so were still intolerable. Wish it could have been in color, because I'd imagine the forest and flower scenes would have been beautiful. One shot, the camera basically climbs the hill with one of the samurai, which I found fascinating, made back then. I'd imagine this film is so important bc was the first of its kind (like you all said).

Star Wars..... Rusty, give the mandalorian a shot. The original trilogy is special. Mandalorian is very very good. The rest of the star wars world so far is garbage, with the possible exception of clone wars, depending on who you ask. Mandalorian season 2, episode title 'the jedi' is the best hour of star wars outside of a new hope and empire strikes back.
    Book of Boba is also worth watching if you like all of that

Haven’t watched this episode yet, but no mention of Ingmar Bergman’s The Seventh Seal here. Never gets old for me.

Are you guys into Wes Anderson or Charlie Kaufman films at all?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Are you guys into Wes Anderson
    "Anderson's work has been classified as Postmodern, on account of his nostalgic attention to detail, his subversion of mainstream conventions of narrative, his references to different genres in the same film, or his love for eccentric characters with complex sexual identities."

or Charlie Kaufman films at all?
    "Kaufman's works explore such universal themes as identity crisis, mortality, and the meaning of life through a metaphysical or parapsychological framework. While his work resists labels, it is sometimes described as surrealist.[51] He sometimes includes fictionalized "facts" about his life in his work, notably Adaptation., Hope Leaves the Theater, and Antkind. Gender identity is also a recurrent theme in his work.[52]

Apes recur in Kaufman's work: in Being John Malkovich, Lotte has a pet chimp named Elijah; in Human Nature, Puff was raised as an ape; in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Penny dreams about an ape; and in Adaptation, the original deus ex machina was a swamp ape."

They don't sound interesting.

I think some of those descriptions are, in themselves, up their own asses, but I suppose I wouldn't describe them as wrong.

I'd recommend watching The Royal Tenenbaums at least. It's a dark, comedic drama about a family living in the same house again. It's got Gene Hackman, Ben Stiller, Owen and Luke Wilson, Danny Glover, and Bill Murray. The humor is dry and a lot of it is visual comedy. I like the way it's shot.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

I watched it and hated it. (best episodes were when the mandalorian came!)

Boba was a bad ass in Empire, and even in Jedi. Some times it's okay to have a damn bad guy, not a shade of gray..... IMO, they ruined him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Book of Boba is also worth watching if you like all of that

If I don't know anything about 12th century England, will "The Lion In Winter" still be enjoyable, or should I do some research first?

starting strength coach development program
    Just watch the movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast