starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rips’s Favourite Music

At the old age of 34, my favorite musicians are Bobby Bare, Johnny Horton,
    Moe Bandy, and the like. Charlie Pride’s version of Crystal Chandlers makes me weak in the knees and Amarillo By Morning is just as insightful as The Gambler.
    Modern Country is horrible… the only silver lining is that it gets the “ kids” into country and hopefully they find the correct path…kinda like CrossFit and barbells.

Modern country is a form of Rap. Rap with a melody and bad musicians.

I don't know about "bad musicians" per se. Some of the best guitar players, for some reason, are all over modern country music. Even the most cynical metal heads will say that those guys can play things they can't even comprehend.

I'll defer to your judgement. I can't stand the shit -- it's not My Favourite Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Even the most cynical metal heads will say that those guys can play things they can't even comprehend.
    You underestimate the depth of cynicism metal fans have to offer and the musical theory many metal musicians know.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I don't know about "bad musicians" per se. Some of the best guitar players, for some reason, are all over modern country music. Even the most cynical metal heads will say that those guys can play things they can't even comprehend.
    You need an incredibly loose wrist to play country at the top level, and you can’t cheat with distortion like you can with an electric guitar.

For whatever it’s worth to the first guy, I’m a Corb Lund fan. S Lazy H hits down deep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    That’s what it was hey? I had a flirtation with rap in the early 2000s. Then I figured out it wasn’t Biggy and Tupac I liked. It was the samples they used. Marvin, the Isley brothers, etc.

For Corb Lund, start with the album Hair in My Eyes Like a Highland Steer. Pretty sure you’ll like it. Even has some Western swing. (Hard to Keep a White Shirt Clean)

Whoops, that ones from Losin Lately Gambler.
    As a fellow Corb Lund fan (saw him last week in a dingy basement bar in Calgary), this is not the album I would have recommended haha. Though "The Truth Comes Out" is fantastic. I would have said Agricultural Tragic, maybe Cabin Fever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Modern country is a form of Rap. Rap with a melody and bad musicians.
    99% of any country played on radio is 5 guitars layered on top of each other and as Steve Earle put "is rap for white people who are scared of black people". Anything good is harder to find but still out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12