starting strength gym

Thread: Thicker shirt/belt for squats

Default Thicker shirt/belt for squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I used to have a much wider waistline than I do now, and have really noticed the loss of mechanical advantage on squats. Recently though, I've found that wearing a sweatshirt and consequently cinching my belt out an extra inch helps the lift. Have you heard of this? I'm surprised that thick shirts aren't a common squat gear recommendation, if it really works and I'm not just imagining it.

What is a "wider waistline"?

A few years ago I was 140lb heavier with a ~55in waist and a x5 squat of 400lb. Today it's 35in and a squat of 315lb. Bench/press/dead saw a 10-15% decrease over the same period. Weighted pull-ups though have gone in the other direction for some, no doubt obscure, reason.

Bodyfat loss is always accompanied by a loss of lean body mass. A loss of 140 pounds is significant, and maybe 25% of that was muscle.

Indeed. 18% of it was FFM, if DEXA is believable here. And that's why press and bench and deadlift have all gone down. But squat went down more, despite the fact that it's (partially) a bodyweight lift. And it went down especially as I passed 40in, which I assume is something to do with the mechanical advantage from a thick middle and thick thighs. But what surprised me was the thick sweatshirt buying back some of that (subjectively), and I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same.

Not sure that the thick sweatshirt can provide any real advantage, but I know that wearing a thick, tight belt absolutely helps me lift heavier weights

starting strength coach development program
    Pretty sure this is just a comfort thing. If one hole on your belt feels too loose, but the next hole up feels too tight, making up for it on the lower hole with a sweatshirt can work. Could also be that you simply feel better with the extra padding against your now less padded gut.