starting strength gym

Thread: Andrew Lewis SSC: Can the Average Man Deadlift 500?

Default Andrew Lewis SSC: Can the Average Man Deadlift 500?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Timely! The answer is yes. I just pulled 500 (May 1st) for the first time since COVID shut the gyms down (and I have concurrently been going though medical hell). I restarted with an empty bar, and I guess, all things considered, I’m about as average as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Timely! The answer is yes. I just pulled 500 (May 1st) for the first time since COVID shut the gyms down (and I have concurrently been going though medical hell). I restarted with an empty bar, and I guess, all things considered, I’m about as average as anyone.
    Congratulations. That's awesome! There are a few milestones you'll always remember, and 500 is one of them. I don't remember when I first benched 315lb, but I bet I'll always remember the first time I benched 225.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Nice Article. Both of my sons and I are member of the 500+ Conventional Deadlift Club. My best was a 515 on my 53rd birthday in 2014.
    The Deadlift I'm most proud of is my 500 Snatch Grip that I did 4 years ago. I have also Deadlifted 505 at least 8 times since I turned 50.
    I'm 5' 10" tall and weighed less than 215 for all of my best Deadlifts. When I was heavier the gut always seemed to be a hindrance.
    Both of my sons (38, and 32) passed me by and are members of the 600 Conventional Deadlift Club, but no longer lift heavy and complain
    about their lower back pain. I believe they both weighed around 230 when they pulled 600. My oldest is 5' 9" and my youngest is 6' 0"
    I believe mental toughness is the key for being successful with heavy Deadlifts. Age and experience can help develop that.

In the word of the Mighty Bill Kazmaier... Conceive, Believe, Achieve

Semper Fi