starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Aging is a disease ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Well, I said that by liberation I mean the liberation from the cycle of rebirth. I don't see how I can be clearer. You have given me two options, neither of which has anything to do with what I wrote. I would not mind a discussion on western thoughts on the afterlife, but surely nothing sensible can come out of debating quotes by Ricky Gervais.
    Every philosophy you ever heard of came out of a random human, and Ricky Gervais is one, and his quote makes complete sense to me. Anyway I wasn't trying to debate, but only to understand, because you speak about the afterlife and rebirth with a lot of confidence for someone who hasn't died yet.
    Anyway, I'm not educated enough on religious schools to actually have a debate about this. I was just giving my input as a human and asking question that seemed thought provoking to me

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Every philosophy you ever heard of came out of a random human, and Ricky Gervais is one, and his quote makes complete sense to me. Anyway I wasn't trying to debate, but only to understand, because you speak about the afterlife and rebirth with a lot of confidence for someone who hasn't died yet.
    Hahaha it is not confidence at all, just an idea. I got somewhat interested in these things some time ago, so I looked into various schools of thought on all the sides. I concluded that the idea of constant rebirth seems like the worst possible outcome by far, so I figure this one must be true. As I said, I will happily be proved wrong if I do die and never come back as anything.

Hahaha it is not confidence at all, just an idea. I got somewhat interested in these things some time ago, so I looked into various schools of thought on all the sides. I concluded that the idea of constant rebirth seems like the worst possible outcome by far, so I figure this one must be true. As I said, I will happily be proved wrong if I do die and never come back as anything.
    What were you last time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What were you last time?
    Most likely a clerk, like now.

How is that simple?
    My simpleton italian brain can't comprehend it I guess, right Jovan?
    No capiche?

It simply eliminated the need to think about a beginning. Takes the wind out of why-type questions. Turns Why into What.

(Not in my Italian mind, but that’s the argument.)

The Italian is to blame, as usual.
    Evokes the Joker from Batman.

How is that simple?
    My simpleton italian brain can't comprehend it I guess, right Jovan?
    Roger Penrose talks about this no beginning to the universe thing. I like his style, he seems like a really polite man: Roger Penrose - Why Did Our Universe Begin? - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    No capiche?

It simply eliminated the need to think about a beginning. Takes the wind out of why-type questions. Turns Why into What.
    Yeah, you can't do that. You can't eliminate people's instinctive need to ask why by declaring a new theory. My problem is understanding from an evolutionary standpoint why this ability to come up with abstract ideas about stuff we apparently don't need to understand would predominate over time. I think it's a bug. It is useful but it's also unstoppable and we end up wondering about stuff we do not need to wonder about.
    But I could be completely wrong.
    If we didn't start wondering thousands of years ago what the hell is going on up in the sky, we wouldn't understand chemistry or physics which are so important for, well everything. But this comes at the cost of also wondering stuff like "what happens when we die" or "how did we get here". Because our brain goes "if we CAN think that, then why shouldn't we?"
    Mabye humans will turn into some cyborg civilization uncapable of such thinking and therefore more efficient, and we will be nothing more to them than what dinosaurs are to us.

Roger Penrose talks about this no beginning to the universe thing. I like his style, he seems like a really polite man: Roger Penrose - Why Did Our Universe Begin? - YouTube
    Sounds like he's coming around to Burbidge et. al.'s infinite oscillating universe (once considered fringe), explaining the density perturbations along the way. But with a fascinating reinterpretation.

Circa 400 A.D., Augustine saw no problem with a physical universe that always existed.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Sounds like he's coming around to Burbidge et. al.'s infinite oscillating universe (once considered fringe), explaining the density perturbations along the way. But with a fascinating reinterpretation.

Circa 400 A.D., Augustine saw no problem with a physical universe that always existed.
    I don't see a problem with this kind of universe either, other than it is there. I can give Francesco a modern quote, so he doesn't think I'm an elitist making fun of him. My personal philosophy is similar to what Douglas Adams writes: “In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move".

starting strength coach development program
    I don't see a problem with this kind of universe either, other than it is there. I can give Francesco a modern quote, so he doesn't think I'm an elitist making fun of him. My personal philosophy is similar to what Douglas Adams writes: “In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move".
    File a complaint with Morgan Freeman.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567