starting strength gym

Thread: Rip: Perception vs Reality

Same goes for the whole greatest “pound for pound” athlete debates that never die among dullards.

A GOAT walks into a bar:

“Hi, my name is……and I’m the greatest pound for pound athlete in my sport”.

Barman:

“So somebody bigger, stronger or faster than you kicked your ass and you don’t like it”.

The GOAT orders a pint of Pity Lite.

Feelings and unicorn farts rebranded as good data these days. Pathetic.

Great article. The older I get, the more this has become a battle over the mind. It's good to read that even experienced lifters like Rip face these challenges.

I think this article by Marty Gallagher dovetails with Rip's article: The World's Strongest Man: Delusional thinking as a sport psyche strategy

The mind can make lifts heavy when they aren't. But, the mind can also be fooled into making lifts light when they are heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Great article. The older I get, the more this has become a battle over the mind. It's good to read that even experienced lifters like Rip face these challenges.

I think this article by Marty Gallagher dovetails with Rip's article: The World's Strongest Man: Delusional thinking as a sport psyche strategy

The mind can make lifts heavy when they aren't. But, the mind can also be fooled into making lifts light when they are heavy.
    A very good point indeed Kitsuma.

This has been the case with my lifts so often that I no longer pay attention to how I feel about lifting before I work out or how the worksets themselves 'feel'. I video all my lifts, even warmups, and more times than not the lift looks easier and definitely moves faster on the video than it felt when I was doing it. To my mind, this is one of the first lessons a lifter--someone who is serious about getting stronger--should learn: how you feel about the lift does not matter. And a corollary: when you puss out, only you will know it, and you will (or at least you should) feel worse about that than you would have felt had you tried the weight that 'felt' hard and failed at rep 4 or 5. There are many ways to be a pussy in the weightroom, and this is, in my experience, the most common one.

starting strength coach development program
    Dollars to donuts the majority of these people are also the ones that come back from any kind of layoff or break from the gym and ask the "should I do LP" question.