SS Radio #159: Rusty is a Cat Lady SS Radio #159: Rusty is a Cat Lady

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: SS Radio #159: Rusty is a Cat Lady

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,848

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494

    Default

    I bothered to look into the 2017 changes to the reference ranges for total T. Looks like it just came out of a bigger, more recent set of data.

    But what blew my mind is that the reference range is the central 95%. So to fall inside the range you just have to be higher than the minuscule bottom 2.5% of the population. I understand this is a fairly standard range for other markers, but is this really appropriate here? In other words, they have ARBITRARILY decided that only 2.5% of the population has hypogonadism.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    I bothered to look into the 2017 changes to the reference ranges for total T. Looks like it just came out of a bigger, more recent set of data.

    But what blew my mind is that the reference range is the central 95%. So to fall inside the range you just have to be higher than the minuscule bottom 2.5% of the population. I understand this is a fairly standard range for other markers, but is this really appropriate here? In other words, they have ARBITRARILY decided that only 2.5% of the population has hypogonadism.
    Nice point. Wonder why they chose 2-sigma vs 1 or 3. How do the medical types like to think about human stats?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Where is Rusty?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,848

    Default

    Elsewhere.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    26

    Default

    The bench accidents portion of this episode hit home and scared me somewhat after hearing the story of the Russian kid who died. I dropped 325 on my chest last year. Full thumbs-around grip, but I was set up too far back and the bar made contact with the left hook on the descent. It torqued right out of my hands and hit me hard enough that it compressed my chest significantly and bent the right safety pin about 3-4 inches. The pins were set a couple inches below chest level.

    My son was spotting and, just as Rip said, he didn’t fully register what had happened until after the bar had come to rest. All I remember is the hook impact and then realizing I was pinned. No recollection of the drop or impact. Happens lightning quick.

    The doctors said nothing was broken or showing up in the x-rays, but apparently my sternum subluxed under my ribs, or vice versa. It loudly snapped back into place a few days later while pressing. Hurt like hell for a while. I couldn’t breath right for a few weeks and all my lifts went into the shitter for a few months.

    Benching still scares me now when it gets heavy because I now know first hand there’s not a damn thing that can be done when it drops. I’m just glad I didn’t “tear a bleeder.”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoStepOnSnek View Post
    and bent the right safety pin about 3-4 inches. The pins were set a couple inches below chest level.
    You've got a really shitty rack. It's not one of ours.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    26

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You've got a really shitty rack. It's not one of ours.
    Yep. Got it over 30 years ago with no clue about what to look for except that I could afford it. 1-inch diameter pins. On the bright side, at least they didn’t bend my bar.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •