starting strength gym

Thread: Altering SS to recover from surgery?

Default Altering SS to recover from surgery?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About 10 months ago I fractured my right humerus, and ended up a rod and screws in my right arm. I went to PT for a while, and got it "good enough" for day to day. I took about 9 months off of lifting, and still haven't recovered all of my tricip/bicep/overall muscle strength in my right arm.

I recently started SS program, and was wondering if it would be OK to add a few accesory lifts in for the benefit of speeding up my injured shoulder recovery. For example, my PT recommended adding in things like close-grip press, dips, and isolated hammer curls to help build that strength back.

Would adding in these lifts at the end of the standard SS program hinder my overall progress?

My gut tells me if I just stick to the basics, the strength will come back from doing to program via press/bench, etc. However, I've never recovered from a serious surgery like this and want to make sure I get the most out of these next several months.

Thanks!

It's been 10 months and you got it set with rods and screws. You're good to go, man. Just do the program, start light, and add weight in reasonable increments. Keep everything symmetrical. Get a coach if you're really worried.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Do the program as written. You cant make progress go faster by doing more than the SS linear progression. The limiting factor is your body's anabolic recovery abilities NOT the number of bullshit meme exercises you do. Get your bench to 250 and your press to 185; get your deadlift to 315 and start doing chin-ups and your fractured right humerus - and everythign else - will get as strong as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Get your bench to 250 and your press to 185; get your deadlift to 315 and start doing chin-ups
    Don’t listen to the fat man, get your deadlift up to 405.